This isn't the best photo, but it happens to be the one that shows the markings on its back the best.  I've checked a lot of sources, and the nearest I can find are peacock moths, but they all have at least 4 spots.  This one only has 2, one on each wing, unless some have been chewed off.  This moth has seen better days.  It's kind of funny that the spots this one has looks like a Pacman. :)

Seen on a tree in my back yard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA about 4-5 inch wing span.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvjoat05ikqi7j6/_BAL0289-moth.jpg?dl=0

Betty

Got it to work.

Male black witch moth / Ascalapha odorata (100% sure)

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, Phillippe. I spent a whole morning researching and coming up empty. I wonder...does he have stink glands? ;) I noticed the second part of the scientific name!

Pity it's lost the lovely patterns near the backs of the wings - very pretty moth....and considered a very unlucky moth as well. BTW, odorata is fragrant or scented...not stinky......

Pity it's lost the lovely patterns near the backs of the wings - very pretty moth....and considered a very unlucky moth as well. BTW, odorata is fragrant or scented...not stinky......

It landed too far up the tree for me to smell it, lol. And yes, he is missing a large part of his wings, as often the case this late in the season. A shame.

Archived