Mac image browser that allows side by side comparison

I'm considering switching from a PC to a Mac (I'm fed up with Microsoft's never ending stream of security updates).

I know I can get PS and LR on a Mac, but I also use an excellent Image browser (BreezeBrowser) that allows very fast side by side comparison of 2 to 4 images at any magnification with fast, smooth synchronised panning. I use this extensively to select the best photos from a shoot, before importing into LR. It's far, far faster than LR and saves importing files that then need deleting. But unfortunately Breeze Browser is only available for the PC.

My question... Is there a comparable image browser/comparison tool that runs on the Mac that any forum members would recommend?

I'm on a Mac and I don't know a method of doing this within the OS including viewing to 100%. There are ways of doing it at a smaller size using Quick Look inside Finder. I think the Windows equivalent is Explorer. Basically select the files, tap space bar and then the tile icon. You get a large image but not 100%. This also doesn't allow comparison scrolling as far as I know.

I've googled this for you. There are suggestions that Photo Mechanic might do this. I'm not sure though and it's a paid for program.

I use LR for this type of operation. Is there a possibility that with a newer, more powerful computer that using Lightroom might be much easier?

Michael

Interesting... At least it's only 2 so far in 2015 for Macs?

In the same period I appear to have 150 updates from Microsoft. Probably 4 or 5 of those have been major updates with >300MB and have taken around 30 mins to install.

Twice my machine has frozen during the update and I've had to reboot and, roll back the update and manually re-install each part of the update in turn.

Interesting... At least it's only 2 so far in 2015 for Macs?

In the same period I appear to have 150 updates from Microsoft. Probably 4 or 5 of those have been major updates with >300MB and have taken around 30 mins to install.

Twice my machine has frozen during the update and I've had to reboot and, roll back the update and manually re-install each part of the update in turn.

I have them switched off and haven't had a virus  or anything like one for 10 years.

Those updates drove me crazy, one of many reasons I switched.

On my Mac, the way I choose the best out of similars is in ACR. I highlight them all in Bridge, then open the group into ACR. To the left are the thumbnails. I choose the option to correct all at the same time, so if I need a bump in exposure to make inspection better, I do that. Then I click on one image at a time and zoom in to choose the best out of the lot.

I make a mental note of that file number, close them out. They remain highlighted in Bridge, so I keep the best one or two, delete the rest.

I've googled this for you. There are suggestions that Photo Mechanic might do this. I'm not sure though and it's a paid for program.

I use LR for this type of operation. Is there a possibility that with a newer, more powerful computer that using Lightroom might be much easier?

Michael

My current workflow involves shooting JPG and RAW together. I use Breezebrowser to check composition (fit screen view) and focus (110% view) and weed out the rogue images before importing into LR. BreezeBrowser is so fast - it doesn't need to import anything, it just views the JPGs or the (JPG in the raw file) more or less instantly. It can group the RAW with the JPG and display the (higher resolution) JPG file in preference, but then tag/delete both files in one go. It can also compare 2, 3, or 4 images side by side.

I've tried doing similar in LR and it takes quite a while to import the pictures (probably 10 secs each) and then takes probably 10-15 secs to render a 100% side by side view (because it's processing the RAW data). LR is just too slow. My PC is Intel Core i5 2.5GHz with 6GB RAM, so not a bad spec.

Hence my search for a MAC version of something like Breezebrowser.

Is anyone using LynApp? Can it do 100% side by side comparison?

Archived