Any Olympus OM-D users?

Hello. New user and potential Alamy contributor here. I'm still figuring out how to go about all this, and one issue that puzzles me is acceptable file size. Stated as 17Mb minimum. I use Olympus OM-D EM-1, and as micro 4/3, the native RAWs are about 15Mb. Once saved as JPEG, they're down to about 13Mb, well below minimum submission size.

Any other OM-D users out there, and what do you do with your files? Does everything have to be upscaled? Since this is likely to reduce IQ, that's a bit of a Catch 22, no? So although this camera is on the approved list for QC, how do you actually get top quality, 17+Mb JPEG files from it?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Margaret

Alamy requires 17Mb uncompressed.

Your files are 13 MB  compressed. Uncompressed they are much larger then the minimum 17MB so your files are allright.

Forget this 17MB uncompressed and just know that as long your files have a miminum of 6 megapixel then they are ok. Please no questions about it anymore :D

To be blunt, if you're asking this question you need to do some more homework. It's as basic as knowing how to load a Paterson spiral.

Actually a lower file size will do so you can reduce your jpeg quality. 90 in LR is sufficient. Mine (16MP) are rarely as big as 7MB.

Thank you for your welcoming attitude to a first time user.

No, there won't be any more questions.

I won't be back.

Thank you for your welcoming attitude to a first time user.

No, there won't be any more questions.

I won't be back.

I, for one hope that you do return.  The question you posed is perfectly legitamite and received two answers.  Both answers are correct.  In short, you need not worry about file size if you are producing 13MB jpegs.  If you ever are worried about file size, there is a very good file size checker here.

The file size query deserves its own forum IMHO.  It is a question which is posed over and over again.  This, I feel,  points to a failure on Alamy's part.  It is their job to explain it sufficiently clearly for there to be no room for confusion.  The fact that the question keeps returning implies that they have been unable to do this.

The bluntness that some posters on the forum exhibit when this query returns again, is more a reflection of frustration at Alamy's inability to clearly and unambiguously explain what they mean, than any newcomers inability to comprehend what is required.  Beginning in stock photography is the start of a learning and growing process.  I've learned a lot over the past year - much of it by reading, posting, and asking on this forum.  Please don't be discouraged.  But please, also, do search the forum for answers before you post.  It is the first thing I do when I need to know something, and it is one of the ways I have developed as a photographer, and as a stock photographer.

Again, please do not be discouraged.  Questions help everyone - especially me.

I'm an exclusive M4/3 user, in that I have purged myself of other cameras and use only  an OM-D and as a back up a Panasonic G5 and an old E-PL3. I have never had to worry about file size with any of these cameras no matter if I'm shooting Jpeg or RAW. I can even get away with cropping the images and not worry about file size (Too much).

So in short, take into account all of the advice that you have been given above but don't worry too much about it. The camera that you are using produces more than adequat images in both size and quality for Alamy.

Archived