Hi,

I sold one of my images at the end of June to a newspaper, who used it on lots of different web pages. It has also appeared on a site which has no right to use it (presumably they have obtained it from the newspaper web site as it has no watermark).

I was going to send them an email re deleting my image from their site, but when I read further they say they do not "host or upload any pictures or images other than indexing them". They are therefore "not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content from the scraped sites".

I am not very technical. Does this mean that they are saying my image is not on their site, they are just providing a portal so the image can be seen on the original site and therefore I can do nothing about it?

They are also inviting people to download and share with others on twitter, facebook, and other forms of social media.

It is only a small file but it still makes me mad - has anyone else had this problem?

Layman's view:

The 'We don't host the content' hasn't stopped the Pirate Bay founders feeling the weight of the law.

If they are inviting people to download etc then they are on dodgy ground because only the Copyright holder can do that.

I've not had this exact problem but maybe try identifying their web hosting service and go from there. I've had good results with this in the past.

Michael

Hi, I sold one of my images at the end of June to a newspaper, who used it on lots of different web pages. It has also appeared on a site which has no right to use it (presumably they have obtained it from the newspaper web site as it has no watermark). I was going to send them an email re deleting my image from their site, but when I read further they say they do not "host or upload any pictures or images other than indexing them". They are therefore "not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content from the scraped sites". I am not very technical. Does this mean that they are saying my image is not on their site, they are just providing a portal so the image can be seen on the original site and therefore I can do nothing about it? They are also inviting people to download and share with others on twitter, facebook, and other forms of social media. It is only a small file but it still makes me mad - has anyone else had this problem?

When all is said and done, and even though it makes most mad, there really is only one way to absolutely guarantee an image will not be misappropriated online. Unfortunately, that one way defeats the purpose for most of us . . .

dd

Archived