Do you want to ask our CEO a question? updated. All parts (1-3) now live! Your questions answered (video)

Disturbed by the apparently complicated nature of the dealings with newspaper groups.

These groups are ALL bound by a self-billing arrangement which is agreed by HMRC. The agreement allows the newspaper to pay for bought content without the supplier invoicing, but a major part of the agreement to allow this is that the VAT element is scrupulously adhered to - not to do so not only affects the supplier by not paying the self-billing account, but in fact affects the HMRC tax position.

I did find that reminding one major group's managing editor that he could lose the facility if it was found that he was failing to make payments that were subject to VAT because HMRC were thus deprived of legitimate VAT tax and this had the effect of a major upgrade of their payment activities. Perhaps Alamy could tactfully point this out to their other tardy clients ?

Secondly, I do wonder if the complications added to the search engine might not prove to be just that - complications which produce further enigmas.

I am surprised by james answer regarding newspapers. It was almost as if...... we are trying our best but we are not sure what more we can do. Not his exact words but that is the message I got. What more can they do. . . . charge the newspaper full rate for every photo used and not reported. That would soon sort out their reporting if it was costing them money

Kevin

No surprises from any of the three videos. I appreciate the problems of remaining competitive in the business, while maintaining prices at a level that keeps photographers rewarded and motivated. It can't be easy (and I still don't know whether very low fees are better than nothing. Heart says no, head says maybe)...

I am surprised by james answer regarding newspapers. It was almost as if...... we are trying our best but we are not sure what more we can do. Not his exact words but that is the message I got. What more can they do. . . . charge the newspaper full rate for every photo used and not reported. That would soon sort out their reporting if it was costing them money

Kevin

That plus a handling fee. Say 150 euros. To be split evenly between A and us, just like that calculator fee. Because we have to go look for it; A has to go after it. All that does not come free.

- But how do we get them to comply?

Put It In The Contract.

And have them sign it at the dotted line.

(What do you think is in the other firm's contract? )

wim

Archived