keywording for motoring images

hi,

im keywording some images, and have read the descriptions and weightings that alamy state whilst in the manage photos dialogs etc.

i notice that the description is zero significance.

i have a lot of images on motoring / cars and will be keywording them / revisiting keywords as i go. but with them being motoring, and cars, there's obviously a lot of specs and such i could mention. 

is it worth putting it in the description field? being as it says zero signifcance?

eg for this image - E6ADTX = sorry i dont know how to link so that it shows up in this post?

i could wax lyrical on the engine size / bhp etc and other such info that would be used as a caption / side for the image if used in a car mag for example.

is this worth including or is it me overthinking, and making the keywords more complex than needs to be!

also as a general question, is using comma's ok in keywords or is it best to just stick to spaces. for example when i generally catalog my images personally i use MAKE - MODEL - YEAR - VIEW in my catalogues that i send out for people to look at - eg the image i ref above would be CHEVROLET - CORVETTE - 1990 - Front view (including the - dash) is this able to be used or will it affect my rank / views when people search etc. or is it merely my preference? and will be ignored by search

thanks

dan

Specific words or phrases that you think potential customers might actually search for: -> Keywords

Information they might like to know once they've found the pic: -> Description.

Alan

I keep mine fairly simple, make, model, number of doors, body style etc etc, I've always felt that car mags were unlikely buyers as they have their own libraries, built up over the years. More likely that people who buy specific images of certain model, will be newspapers and publishers for one of usages. 

thanks guys, and thanks to yorkphotographer especially, good to see someone with similar images.

ill put in some "extra" info in the description then. i suppose im coming from a publishing background, where i researched the stats etc.

and im at the start of my collection, so wanted to check a few things / ask a few questions first. before i have tens of thousands keyworded all in a mess!

thanks again.

I know NOTHING about cars. I live in New York City where they are almost useless. I was curious and looked at your images. I saw lots on the first page that seemed to be of the interior of the car and included, I think, GPS and other dashboard items. Nothing about them in your keywords. Take a look at what is actually in the specific image and describe it. I think that will help you be seen by people who aren't looking for a car in action. I'm hoping to be helpful but bear in mind I have NO knowledge of the subject that you obviously love.

Paulette

many thanks paulette, yes i totally missed some things like that and used generic "dashboard" keyword! which i could kick myself for, as i have previously sold an image elsewhere where somebody wanted an image OF an interior because it showed the CD system!

I know NOTHING about cars. I live in New York City where they are almost useless. I was curious and looked at your images. I saw lots on the first page that seemed to be of the interior of the car and included, I think, GPS and other dashboard items. Nothing about them in your keywords. Take a look at what is actually in the specific image and describe it. I think that will help you be seen by people who aren't looking for a car in action. I'm hoping to be helpful but bear in mind I have NO knowledge of the subject that you obviously love.

Paulette

Just had a look at your pictures, might be worth culling some of the similars and adding in some keyword like "sports car cornering" and "sat nav" etc etc, to broaden their possible uses. I've had some nice sales of my motor-racing stuff in physics/applied maths text books, which I can only assume have come from keywords like "acceleration", "Force", "Newtons Laws of Motion" etc etc.

I guess you've worked for car mags in the past?

yes thats right, and sorting out my large archive!

thanks for the advice, i'd never have thought of the concept of the "forces" of what the car is going through, i think i best ask some non-car friends to have a look and they would probably see past the obvious make and model etc.

also i noticed on another thread the mention of boolean "stop" words, that i think im guilty of using - eg common words that get ignored or used automatically when searching - eg if you search "a black cat" on google, it actually submits to googles servers as "a + black + cat". it can obviously get very detailed and specific but thats a basic example.

does anyone know a full list of these common words, or is that an alamy secret. to protect their IP on how their search works.

thanks spacecadet,

i may email customer services and see if they can / will provide a list, as its something of use to everyone i would think.

AFAIK common words such as a, the an, of, on and so on are ignored.

Archived