X-T1 and foliage

Well I took a photo today which has confirmed that there is a problem with rendering of foliage with the Fuji X-T1 sensor. Sorry cannot post the image but will try to describe findings.

The photo is of a brightly coloured fast food van parked on a road on a business estate. Behind the van is a footpath then a thick hedge and two trees. Further behind the hedge is a small car park with a modern building on the other side of the car park.

Looking at the jpeg straight out of the camera at 100% on my 27" iMac the van is sharp. So are the branches of the trees. Similarly the building is also sharp. What is not sharp are the leaves on the hedge and the trees.

The photo was taken with a speed setting that, in the circumstances, would be fast enough to freeze any movement in a strong breeze. But there was not any wind to speak of.

I know this has been discussed in the past and we are aware of the problem and possible ways to overcome it. However I do not think the Fuji system is for the serious landscape and flora photographers.

As my recent QC fails on Alamy have been photos with foliage or flora my solution, for myself, is to stop taking photos which include these items with this system.

Allan

I avoided this problem with my X.Pro 1 by setting the sharpness at minus 1 and the noise reduction to minus 2….one time when the camera "lost" those settings, the problem was just visible on 100% inspection. I have put the same settings into my XT1 as well but have not shot any foliage with it as yet but see no reason that it should be any different….

I'm finding it worse with the XT than with the X Pro. Tried all of the RAW converters, no real difference.

I haven't had any issues with QC so far though. I try not to use the Fujis for pictures that include foliage.

It is an annoying phenomenon for sure. Hopefully it will get sorted eventually, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have had a few shots I was afraid to submit because of the foliage. Case in point, the landscape garden shot with azaleas in foreground, a few others taken at the same time I didn't submit. Reason? The camera grabbed the wrong area of focus. My fault...I should have stopped down. But I was in the process of putting my brand new 50-140 through its paces wide open. But for the most part, it works with foliage.

These were taken with my T1.

Closeup flower EM9HRO I think taken with the 56mm.

EMEOG3

EM9HHH

EMPE4G

While you might think the foliage isn't perfect, it was perfect enough for QC, all passed in the last few weeks. I sound like a Fuji fan girl, don't I?

Betty

Had a look Betty.

Comments:

EMEOG3 First Alamy does not use capital O it is zero 0 in their codes. I think that the main subject, the flower, is in focus and the rest, foliage included appears to be OOF so no risk of failure.

EMEOG3 ------------------------------"-------------------------------------. looks good to me.

EM9HHH Again foliage appears to be OOF so no problem as main subject is in focus.

EMPE4G  WOW! :) 

Allan

I messed up, Allan. EMPE4G isn't mine.  Shoot. That was the only one that wowed you.  :ph34r:   I don't know which one I meant, now, lol.

OK, found it. It is EMP84G, lol, I scribbled the 8 so bad that it looked like an E when I copied it!

Tee hee! Sorry about that I thought it would make you laugh.

EMP84G Looks fine to me subject and close foliage looks fine other foliage too far away to bother with.

Allan

Tee hee! Sorry about that I thought it would make you laugh.

EMP84G Looks fine to me subject and close foliage looks fine other foliage too far away to bother with.

Allan

Naughty boy. Didn't make me laugh, because I would never take credit for someone else's images! I was aghast!

Archived