Alamy blog - Creative Cinematography

Alamy

A big eye opener for me was the quality of the night scenes in the movie version of "Miami Vice". 

The image quality of the night scenes was terrible!! Empty shadows, very noisy, soft, motion blurred, camera bouncing all over the place. The poor quality was perfect for the movie. It gave the scenes authenticity. A "you are there" feeling. There are lessons in every movie.

Not only are the movies ahead in visual style, but they are also out ahead in terms of social issues. In 2015 some scientists are just now warning about the dangers of artificial intelligence. The movies were 31 years ahead with the 1984 film "The Terminator".

Looking for trends, visual and social? Look to the movies.

A big eye opener for me was the quality of the night scenes in the movie version of "Miami Vice". 

The image quality of the night scenes was terrible!! Empty shadows, very noisy, soft, motion blurred, camera bouncing all over the place. The poor quality was perfect for the movie. It gave the scenes authenticity. A "you are there" feeling. There are lessons in every movie.

Not only are the movies ahead in visual style, but they are also out ahead in terms of social issues. In 2015 some scientists are just now warning about the dangers of artificial intelligence. The movies were 31 years ahead with the 1984 film "The Terminator".

Looking for trends, visual and social? Look to the movies.

Being a huge Kubrick fan, I can assure you the movies were warning of the dangers of IT many, many, many years before 1984 :-)

dd

Archived