Stockimo workflow

I'm planning to buy an iPhone and try my hand at Stockimo. One thing that seems appealing is the ability to take a photo, work on it, send it in on the phone and quickly know whether it has been accepted. Then I start thinking about my usual system with my catalog in Lightroom, renaming the images and backing everything up to a second hard drive, sending images to the US copyright office, knowing which images are on Alamy, etc. So how do you usually handle the work? If you bring them into your computer do you do it before or after you apply filters? Do you delete them from the phone and then bring them in with a new filename and finished -- ready to upload? I'd love to hear something about your system and how it works for you.

Paulette

Hi Paulette

When I have taken a reasonable number of images, I rate them on the iphone by marking potential keepers as 'favourites'. I process these on the iphone and then, if/when happy with the results, upload them to Stockimo. It's normally at this stage that I backup the iphone images onto 2 hard drives, using the same filing system that I use for traditional cameras.

Subsequently, I copy accepted images (thankfully now the majority) into a separate Stockimo folder on each drive - a bit of repetition, but it makes it easier for me to locate the images that are actually on sale.

I don't change filenames, and I don't send any images to a copyright office (I'm a Brit). I delete images off the phone when the 'Camera Roll' starts looking too big.

Hope this helps and I welcome any feedback:)

Regards

John

Thank you for sharing your methods. I'm just pondering at this point. I know I want to have a system that works from the beginning so I don't have to go back and redo. Yours sounds sensible.

Paulette

Don't bring them into your computer for upload. They have to be uploaded from an i something.

I personally shoot on my phone and the images sync to my iPad. I apply filters there (iPad) since I can work on larger images and better see filter results.

The Stockimo app is on both devices, but I upload from my iPad.

People without an iPad seem to happily make it work fine from their iPhone.

So for me, shoot with the phone, everything else done on iPad.

So far, I haven't done enough images to worry about storage, yet. But I imagine when I do, I'll store them on my 2 desktop HDs in a Stockimo titled folder.

Betty

Thank you, Betty. I'm pretty obsessive about backing everything up. Especially on any of my "once in a lifetime" trips. I like to know I have a copy of my images in my checked bag, a copy in my carry-on and a copy in my computer bag. Somehow images of the wild creature seem even less repeatable than other images. I guess the complication is the re-naming of the files. My mind isn't clear on that. Maybe someone else does it and will share.

Paulette

Oh dear. That's a good question. Well, first of all, I read (and studied) this book....http://smile.amazon.com/DAM-Book-Digital-Management-Photographers/dp/0596523572/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424533145&sr=8-2&keywords=Peter+Krogh

I had no idea how to manage, sort, just deal with digital images and there is a bundle of information in this book. I rename with my initials_date taken_number given by the camera. I also have the ability in my template to add something (like the subject). Sometimes I use that but mostly not now--though I have lately added something to indicate the fact that I have digitally altered a version of the image. Is all this useful? Sometimes. Maybe not really necessary. It's one of the things I am wondering about the iPhone images.

Paulette

The only thing I do with camera image filenames is to add a suffix if I use a program in addition to Photoshop eg ('N' for Capture NX2) - just helps me make sense of having multiple TIFFs leading to the final JPEG for Alamy.

I don't do anything with filenames for iphone shots - they're always going to be digitally altered (I find they're rejected if not suitably 'grunged'!) and you can end up using several apps if you get carried away. Hence they just get filed as per camera images (Year/Camera or iphone/Location or event/date as allocated automatically) apart from an additional folder for copies of accepted Stockimo images. Works for me:)

One reason to rename the file is if you have more than one iDevice, or if you eventually upgrade your phone, you might wind up with duplicate filenames. I'm on my second iPhone and I might want to upgrade again in the future.

My system is pretty much the same as Paulette's. I import files using Lightroom into a special folder changing the filename (pretty much) to the same format I use for my other photos.YYMMDD-(my initials)TakeNumber. Sometimes I'll check it for sharpness and other details before transferring it back to my iPhone, via email, before submitting it to Stockimo.

One thing that confuses me is that when I transfer it back to the phone the image seems to have the original filename. Maybe iPhones read this from metatags?

fD

I just took a look at descriptions of Lightroom Mobile thinking it might be the answer but I found that you can only rename files on the computer. I don't have Creative Cloud so it's not meant for me anyway. I don't like the idea of having the filename on the phone -- and thus on the file that Alamy receives -- be different from what I have on my computer. Maybe there is only a choice of leaving the file names or having them be different. Lightroom does show you the original filename in the metadata so it's not impossible to find it. Thanks for your input, fD.

Paulette

Yes, that solves the difference problem. I already put the Alamy number in the keywords of my images. Not terribly practical, I suppose for people with huge submissions but I poke along slowly. So I guess it really doesn't make a difference whether I rename before or after submitting. I can just do it when it seems to fit in my workflow.

Paulette

Archived