Shooting Images of Movie Films on Location

I was considering later in the year (too freaking cold right now) of trying to go to film locations and get some shots. Thought these might have some news potential.

Is it easy to get close enough for worthy images, or is it better to contact the production company and see if they will allow me on set?  Or even production companies doing commercials, although they wouldn't have the news value a movie or tv show would have.

A lot of tv shows and movies are filmed in Toronto, so there would be some good options. 

Is this a feasible idea, or would the production company have a fit?

Jill

I was considering later in the year (too freaking cold right now) of trying to go to film locations and get some shots. Thought these might have some news potential.

Is it easy to get close enough for worthy images, or is it better to contact the production company and see if they will allow me on set?  Or even production companies doing commercials, although they wouldn't have the news value a movie or tv show would have.

A lot of tv shows and movies are filmed in Toronto, so there would be some good options. 

Is this a feasible idea, or would the production company have a fit?

Jill

They usually have security and police keeping fans and cameras away. I've done it before because in some cases the movie studios are my clients and I can get some limited access. The film union tried to pressure me to join decades ago but I could not accept a deal that would have had me giving them part of my other earned income over to them. It sounded more like blackmail.

L

I don't know a lot on this subject but one experience I had was not good when a major movie was being filmed in Washington DC and I was walking by the set. One of the stars, Téa Leoni, was getting out of a car, after a chase scene, and when I raised up my camera, a security guy jumped in front of me and yelled that this was a closed set. Yet another time, I was in Hollywood and passed by a public street set of NCIS Los Angeles and after a take, the star, L.L. Cool J, was more than happy to pose for a photo (my teenage daughter was thrilled). My guess is if you are waiting around to get actors' photos, you may run into trouble. On the other hand, if a movie or tv show is a big success then maybe shots of locales, such as Highclere Castle, the setting for Downton Abbey.

When I lived in downtown Chicago in the 80s and 90s ,the overseas and national publications would have me on retainer for their photogs and writers to come over and use my equipment to transmit photos and stories and hang out. That was the area where most of the movies were filmed back then. It was quite lucrative for that aspect for me at least. However,the photogs sometimes had to be standing around 12 hours a day before they'd get a shot.I was literally on call 24/7. I turned down shooting those things because it was just too long of a wait and very hit or miss anyway.

L

Back in 1990 I was able to shoot on location for GodFather III because my editor's brother was the Assistant Director

I didn't have a blimp to dampen the sound so I was only allowed to shoot while the cameras weren't rolling. The photos ran in the paper that had assigned me but the only other sale from this shoot was through Alamy. Granted it might've sold better if I had shot color.

Scene below is Francis Ford Coppola directing actors for the assination attempt at an Italian street fair in Little Italy.

circa-1990-frances-ford-coppola-on-locat

Another time, when I was freelancing for AP I was sent to shoot on location for some film whose name I don't remember. Michelle Pfeiffer complained that I was disturbing her so security told me to leave. More recently, several scenes from Inside Llewyn Davis was shot on the street where I live.. I took a few shots of the vintage cars but I didn't feel like spending several days waiting in the street. So far those few images haven't sold.

We have a ridiculous number of films and commercials shot in my neighborhood. It's not unusual to run into Law and Order SUV or various film productions as you come and go. I ran into a production crew on Bleecker Street a few days ago just before the weather turned particularly harsh. I also noticed Film Permits posted on my block, but the crew never appeared... maybe due to the snow?

Part of the problem with shooting on location is not only do they have PAs and Security to keep the public at bay, but they also have their own still photographers whose photos they normally distribute for free. Even worse, unless you know their schedule, you could spend hours waiting for a good shot only to discover the stars aren't appearing in that scene.

If you happen across a popular star on location, it's worth submitting to the news feed, but I personally wouldn't put too much time and effort into it.

fD

I lucked out with Transformer III in 2010 as far as the stars on the sets go. Nothing here on Alamy but I licensed the shots for premium $$$$ and still am....especially since actor Shia Lebouf had some trouble out here.

For certain use I had been licensing for $300-600 per image on my own seeing what I have,no others were able to catch!

L

Thanks for the input. I'll see how it goes come spring. I've passed a couple of film shoots in Toronto when there, and security didn't seem overly evident. I guess it depends how it goes when I pull out the camera. 

Jill

Right.Many times they are intentionally  invisible until needed.

I lucked out as a I got railroaded into a restaurant with huge windows right in front of the filming...in broad daylight. The police would not let anyone enter or leave so I had no choice but to snap away!

Second time I was in the area and lucked out as well. Third time,coming home from another photo shoot I walked right into the set and they thought I was there for the daily paper.

L

You never know. About three years ago I came across Julianne Moore shooting "What Maisie Knew" while I was walking the dog. She was much thinner in person that I would expect and it took me a few seconds to recognize her..

I probably could've gotten some nice photos if I had my 80-200 with me. Unfortunately I only had a 20mm on my camera. As Linda said, sometimes they block off the entire area and PAs won't even allow residents in and out of the buildings. Occasionally you can practically walk into the set.

Many many years ago I was on Fifth Avenue when Robin Williams was filming "Moscow on the Hudson." He was busking in this particular scene and out of nowhere, someone gave me a handful of change and told me to drop it in his case. Maybe they thought I was an extra? As any New Yorker would do, I pocketed the change and went on my way instead!

Archived