Fuji X100T and Yongnuo Flashes

Ok, treated myself to the new Fuji X100T.... mainly wanted a good carry around camera that was small, 35mm, light and had the same sensor as the T1's. But, I was also interested in the silent operation with extremely high flash sync rates. 10cm min focus distance as well.

I've just finished playing around with the Yongnuo YN560-TX transmitter / Controller with a couple of the Yongnuo 560III flashes and can confirm these will sync right up to 1/4000s. No tweaks or fancy high speed radio transmitters etc, just the £25 YN560-TX and the £48 Yongnuo 560III with it's built in receiver. I can see I'm going to have fun with this camera  :)

No tweaks or fancy high speed radio transmitters etc, just the £25 YN560-TX and the £48 Yongnuo 560III with it's built in receiver.

£25 was a good price for the YN560-TX, I recently purchased one from Amazon for £33 and thought that was good. Still waiting for my 560-III to arrive from China, hoping it all works with my Fuji XE-1 !

No tweaks or fancy high speed radio transmitters etc, just the £25 YN560-TX and the £48 Yongnuo 560III with it's built in receiver.

£25 was a good price for the YN560-TX, I recently purchased one from Amazon for £33 and thought that was good. Still waiting for my 560-III to arrive from China, hoping it all works with my Fuji XE-1 !

I got my YN560-TX from ebay.... it was about £10 less than Amazon at the time. It'll work well with the X-E1.

Duncan I am not wanting to take anything away from your euphoria with the new camera but cannot understand why you would want the X100T when, with the new mk3 firmware update on the X-T1 giving silent and high speed shutter with flash, you would not use said X-T1 with 35mm (equiv) lens on that body.

Don't get me wrong I hope you enjoy your new acquisition and am slightly envious myself. It just looks right for street photography too.

Happy Christmas.

Allan

Duncan I am not wanting to take anything away from your euphoria with the new camera but cannot understand why you would want the X100T when, with the new mk3 firmware update on the X-T1 giving silent and high speed shutter with flash, you would not use said X-T1 with 35mm (equiv) lens on that body.

Don't get me wrong I hope you enjoy your new acquisition and am slightly envious myself. It just looks right for street photography too.

Happy Christmas.

Allan

Yeah, that firmware was a good one but what the X-T1 cannot do still is take high speed shots with flash sync. When you use the electronic shutter on the X-T1 all flash is disabled.

With the x100T, I don't have to set it to electronic shutter, just use the leaf shutter and I can set it to 1/4000s and it will sync with studio flashes. I can also get very close to the subject matter as well, 10cm. As I find that I do more and more studio stuff, this is probably the biggest plus point. I'd been looking out for one of these purely for this reason since the x100s was released

The other plus point is I can pop this cam in my pocket and I was intending to use it as a personal/ play camera when taking the X-T1 with the 23mm lens was a little bulky/ hassle to carry. Going out for meals with the family etc

My main work cameras will continue to be the two X-T1's and the X100T will add the extra high speed sync facility that those cams cannot offer.

Using for street / stealthy shoots is also a very good perk... it is really compact.

When I've played around with it more I will jot a few notes about it. At the moment, the buttons feel like how the X-T1 should have been like. They are easy to use and find even with gloves.

Merry Christmas one and all.....  :)

Ahhh! I did not see that about the disabled flash with electronic shutter.  The close focus sounds good as does flash sync at 1/4000th.

Beginning to like the sound of the X100T more and more.  May be better to spend £1000 on this camera rather than putting it towards the 50-140 lens. I really do not know where this lens would fit in with my existing set up but the X100T would go in nicely.

Thanks Duncan.

Allan

Ahhh! I did not see that about the disabled flash with electronic shutter.  The close focus sounds good as does flash sync at 1/4000th.

Beginning to like the sound of the X100T more and more.  May be better to spend £1000 on this camera rather than putting it towards the 50-140 lens. I really do not know where this lens would fit in with my existing set up but the X100T would go in nicely.

Thanks Duncan.

Allan

I like the sound of the 50-140 and the image quality etc is superb but I couldn't justify buying it for my landscape use due to the weight. I attach both X-T1's to each strap on my backpack when I'm out, normally the 10-24 and the 55-200 via a Capture Clip system by Peak Design.

This means I have no mucking around changing lenses and both cameras are instantly available. The weight is transferred nicely to the straps with no pull at all. I don't think that would be the same with the 50-140 as that is about 1kg on it's own. I could be wrong but it would be getting close to a full DSLR again.

The X100T, it's a nice handy camera and offers a little extra in features that the X-T1 doesn't have. It's like adding a lens to the collection rather than a replacement camera. If you later add the wide angle and telephoto adapters, you would have an ultra lightweight travel system to add to your main studio/client system while maintaining image IQ consistency. Same sensor as the X-T1.

I may have a word with my local dealer as it is possible to buy the X100T with wide adaptor for £1256 and the telephoto adaptor is free.

Oh no! here I go again, I definitely have GAS.

Allan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the info.  Can you tell me if the X100T comes with a lens hood.  I had one on the original X100 but can't recall if it came with it or if I bought it separately. I suspect it was the latter.  I really feel more comfortable when using a lens hood.

Pearl

Pearl following from Fuji site.

Accessories included

Li-ion battery NP-95
Battery charger BC-65N
Shoulder strap
USB cable
Lens cap
Metal strap clip
Protective cover
Clip attaching tool
Owner's Manual (Basic Operations)*6

Optional accessories

Hand Grip MHG-X100
Li-ion Battery NP-95
Battery Charger BC-65N
Leather Case LC-X100S, LC-X100S B
Wide Conversion Lens WCL-X100S, WCL-X100B
Tele Conversion Lens TCL-X100S, TCL-X100B
Lens Hood LH-X100, LH-X100 B
Adapter Ring AR-X100, AR-X100 B
Shoe Mount Flash EF-20, EF-42, EF-X20
Protector Filter PRF-49S*7
Stereo Microphone MIC-ST1
Remote Release RR-90
Grip Belt GB-001

Allan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the info.  Can you tell me if the X100T comes with a lens hood.  I had one on the original X100 but can't recall if it came with it or if I bought it separately. I suspect it was the latter.  I really feel more comfortable when using a lens hood.

Pearl

Hi Pearl

No, it didn't come with a hood but I bought one of the JJC ones that also includes the lens filter thread. It fits perfectly and less than £15. If I'm out and about I pop it on but when moving from a-b I just pop the lens cover on! Fits nicely in my pocket that way.

Edit. The JJC hood comes in Black and Silver.

Archived