Key words - where to put name of country

With a travel or landscape photo should I put the country in the Essential words?  The advantage is that an editor may be looking for a photo of India, for example, and choose your photo.   The disadvantage is that your photo will come up with the zillions of photos that come up with that search and this will damage your chances. Is it better to narrow your photo down to the town or name of the temple, view etc.  In which case where would you put the name of the photo?

If a researcher does a search under just the name of the country, they are clearly looking for a wide range of subjects relevant to that country - it would be a shame if yours didn't show up. If they are doing a narrower search, they will add other words  - town, temple etc. I always put the country in essential, UNLESS it really isn't relevant or there are other keywords I think are more important. If there's room, I include it. 

Of course, that can depend on the country - 'Slovak Republic' uses up more space than 'India'

I've started to look at each image individually and think of what is relevant, trying to imagine what a picture researcher would be looking for.

I would therefore include the country in the essentials unless there are more important words relevant to the image which should go in, and the country name relegated to the next set of keywords.

It's all finget in the wind stuff though :)

The field I add the country to depends on how relevant this info is for the content of the shoot:

• very important: in the "Essential keywords"
  • important: caption and some "Keyword" field, which one depending on what other keyword may be more important than the country
  • useful, but nor really important: address field (I normally alway add the country to this field)
  • irrelevant: nowhere at all, not even to the address field

Hope this helps.

Archived