Cloud Storage - Update and Recommendations

Now that Cloud storage has been around for a while, I'm looking for recommendations.

I have triple back-up at base but would lose the lot in the case of fire, burglary etc.  Needing up to 500Gb to cover all images.  I don't have anywhere else I could safely store a further drive away from base.

So... all suggestions and experiences appreciated. 

John

I also use crash plan. Its a lot cheaper than getting 2tb of storage on something like dropbox. I needed a backup solution to go along with my in house backups. I still use dropbox, google drive and iCloud. The only one I've bought storage on is iCloud just for backup for my i-devices.

The only downside with crash plan is the lack of encryption. If you want a secure no knowledge storage solution look at spider oak.

-Philip Hutson

Thanks for he replies.

Ed - I didn't see your post which covered the same subject a few days back - sorry to duplicate.  I tried a search for 'cloud' etc and very little came up so assumed it hadn't been covered recently.

Anyway - between the two threads, I've picked up some useful and sometimes confusing info.

I will look at the sites recommended and make a decision.

John

"Anyway - between the two threads, I've picked up some useful and sometimes confusing info." -- John

LOL  Isn't that always the way? I don't really have an opinion myself, but don't see things getting cloudy for me at this point.  

I'm glad you used that exact phrase, Linda. "The Cloud?" I get confused. There isn't just ONE cloud, right? There are a bunch of clouds, no? Whenever I turn on my iMac now, the check-in box to iCloud opens. I guess they intend to be in my face forever . . . like AARP, who put something in my mailbox everyday and send me endless emails, even though it's been six years since I was a paying member. 

I'm glad you used that exact phrase, Linda. "The Cloud?" I get confused. There isn't just ONE cloud, right? There are a bunch of clouds, no? Whenever I turn on my iMac now, the check-in box to iCloud opens. I guess they intend to be in my face forever . . . like AARP, who put something in my mailbox everyday and send me endless emails, even though it's been six years since I was a paying member. 

"Cloud" is pretty much the generic term for virtual storage. iCloud is Apple owned and refers to their cloud storage.

I was interested in that WD solution but have some unanswered fears and questions. Like,if someone stole that box could they plug it in and access my personal cloud storage on the WD site? Or,if I lost the WD unit or it broke,could I access and quickly download my files or does that turn into project from hell that will take 7 lifetimes? Just curious if anyone owns one.

L

Back at ya Edo +1

It would be nice if there could be several layers of safeguarding data online.Not only the alpha numerical password which computers when programmed can probably guess n hack but the addition of a pad for a thumb print( newer iPhones have this?) as well as an eye scan.

That might be pretty impossible to access don't you think? Or maybe just buy a bit of time before someone figures how to access those things.

L

Archived