X-T1 - first impressions

I get a lot more than 118 images per charge - more like 400 but then I rarely chimp; I grew up with film so I only review if I am working in difficult lighting conditions or at the limit of low shutter speeds. I also have no review set, don't machine-gun and I switch off between shooting sequences.

Similar here. I have 6 batteries and normally take out 3 for a day trip and 9/10 I come back with the 3 with the original one still in the camera. When I have the battery grip on and working in the studio, it will last for 3/4 of the day, I pop a third in. But, I use the wifi a lot while using my phone to control it.

It would be lovely to have DSLR battery life but that would mean I wouldn't have the EVF with all the benefits it offers. Histogram in EVF with level, see the effects of any changes straight away before pulling the trigger. We just need to take the DSLR tracking abilities and add them to the Fuji / Sony etc and we're sorted. In time it will happen but I can manage now as I don't take sports or wildlife shots.

I have used it to take moving shots while it's attached to the roof, bonnet, wing and underside of the car using my phone to see what the shot looks like without getting out.... I couldn't do that with my DSLR. It all comes down to individual needs, one size doesn't fit all.... with any camera really.

Mark, not a reply...simply ruminating that the OP is commenting on two camera systems which are years apart in technology. That the Fuji doesn't blow the Canon out of the water says a lot for both bits of equipment.

OIC, Ruminating is my favorite sport

Interesting... I've had an X100 for 2 years, and XP-1 (with the 18-55 & 35mm) for one year.

I have been loaned the XT along with 10-24, 14, 56 and 55-200 for a week...... I've just spent a long weekend covering a festival with both bodies, risking to leave my FF Nikons behind... Yes there are issues, plenty of issues but overall, i feel i came away from that weekend with a set of images that are in many cases as good or better than my FF's...  Why? Without doubt they they were less obtrusive than my nikons... and suit the way I work.. I personally prefer the colours, WB and auto-exposure these provide compared to my D700's and D610's (but you do need to play with the film simulations, shadow, hi light and sharpness settings and make presets).

I was shooting straight to JPG and spent far less time editing that with the nikon files...

As for lenses; I love my 35mm but found the 14mm and especially the 56 Astonishing (no other words)... They ended up my carry round lenses on the 2 bodies...

The EVF adds a layer between you and the subject but apart from that - the ergonomics are very similar to film cameras (especially the aperture ring) ... SO far, of all the peeps I have chatted to who have used or tried these, those that grew up on film SLR's get on with them better... (of course - i do not know who here did so this may be just among the peeps i know)...

They are without doubt an acquired taste but if I were traveling, walking, or doing general stock, atm hey would without doubt be my preferred system... 

I personally prefer the colours, WB and auto-exposure these provide compared to my D700's and D610's

those that grew up on film SLR's get on with them better

I i were traveling, walking, or doing general stock, atm hey would without doubt be my preferred system... 

Some interesting points. It's certainly a great little camera and it will suit a lot of people, it just isn't the right one for me.

On the points you've made, I actually prefer Canon colours to Nikon anyway, and the Fuji seems somewhere between the two, so it wasn't such a difference for me. I grew up on film SLRs and the X-T1 is certainly reminiscent of the old days - a definite plus point for it. For walking I have the NEX6 which in most conditions can deliver equally good results.

For the kind of work you do, Julie, I can see that the X-T1 would be an excellent choice. But for me the 5D2 still wins out.

Anyway, it makes a change from the traditional Canon v. Nikon debate!

Alan

Archived