Cut outs keywording and search engine results

Alamy's keywording guidelines tell us -

"We no longer require our contributors to specify whether the image is a cut out in Manage Images. Cut outs are now identified by a technical solution and retrieved in the search engine when buyers select 'Cut Outs' in the 'Image Type' menu in the left hand sidebar tool. We have found using technology produces significantly better results, however we can only identify cut outs on a white background."

Can anyone shed any light on how the "technical solution" used to ID cut outs works?   

Should we add "cut out" to our cut out images keywords? 

Browsing/searching the "Cut Outs" category seems to return mixed results depending on whether or not the selected Image Type includes "photo" or not as well as "cut outs" and also whether or not the search field contains "cut out" in addition to the search term.

Am I overlooking something?

I'm guessing that it analyzes images when uploaded and looks for images with a high percentage of highlight tonality above say 240 

Perhaps -  but selecting Image Type "cut out" and "photograph" and a search term without "cut out" keywords returns many photos containing the search term that are not cut outs with white backgrounds or a high percentage of high tonal values.

Deselecting "photograph" as an Image Type appears to result in a great reduction of non-white/non-high tonal value images being found but also seems to not return some photos that are white background cut outs.

If you search for a particular term and select Image Type "cut out" and "photograph" you will get cutouts AND photographs rather than cutouts that ARE photographs.  I think it is quite confusing and wonder if buyers realise that this is how it works.

Pearl

It is definitely confusing.

Also while trying to figure out the cut out Image Type search I noticed some really blatant keyword spamming.  I knew it was a problem.  But for the life of me I can't understand why anyone believes it helps get relevant images seen by buyers.  For instance for Image Type "cut out" and a "red fire extinguisher" search term returned among many others image CN8DPM

It's a cut out but not a fire extinguisher or anything red.  It has a very long list of otherwise completely non-relevant keywords.  No telling how many other images have similar keyword pollution.  

Doubtful there's anything Alamy can do about it but it sure adds more confusion and pollutes search results.

I would opt for belts and braces and put cut out, cut outs, cutout and cutouts in the keywords. At the end of the day we are trying to guess what the client will use as search words.

dov

I always do this but the search terms only seem work if the software recognises an image as a cut out.  The keywords don't override the software.

Pearl

Archived