It looks like my 5d mk 2 is on the way out so have started looking at the 5dmk3 as a replacement. The going rate through the main shops seems to be around £2200.

However they are being offered for around £1600 through a coule of outlets i have seen on the internet. Does anybody have any experience of SLR Hut or Simply electronics?

Regen

They are grey importers who most likely class you as the importer so they don't have to pay duty or tax  (you are liable, however HMRC are a bit busy - so chances are you'll get away with it).  Both 'companies' are fronts for HongKong based sellers - you'll have no warranty with Canon UK (cash backs aren't valid either), but usually they'll have a 3rd party repair outfit you can use.

Personally I'd rather just pay a bit more and buy in the UK.

I've used Simply Electronics twice and never had any problems. The items were first shipped to UK and from there to Finland. Still, considering the lack of warranty, the next time I need something I think I'll just order it from a local retailer. A lot of people seem to have had problems with SE and in my opinion the uncertainty isn't worth the cheaper price.

I think it all comes down to peace of mind. Cost saving is one thing, peace of mind comes at a price.

You get what you pay for, or pay for what you get.

Just my 2 cents (sense)

You might want to wait a few months.  There are rumors that Canon will introduce a new 1Dx MK II series body this Fall and a new 5D MK IV body early in 2015 (same sensor - the rumor is a fovian sensor).  If that's the case, the price on MK III bodies will drop very significantly.

Thanks ED. Good to know. Had a look at a new one today in local camera shop and the autofocus is great compared with my mk 2.  As the old one still goes I will probably wait a few months.

Regen

Archived