First upload with the X-T1

I'm still learning my way around this system, with more questions than answers, but I've uploaded 11 images today.  I'll be curious (anxious) to see if they pass.

I really like this camera, but for a Nikon shooter, the controls are like 360 degrees from what I'm used to.  I wish there was a dial that simply said A for aperture, S for shutter speed, and M for manual.  That by itself would greatly simplify my life!  :)  

I'll get used to it.  I'll get used to it, I'll get used to it. I keep repeating that in my brain.  

And focus peaking?  I don't understand that at all.  Is that a product used in shooting only manual?  And do I have to hold down that teensy-tiny button at the same time I'm pressing the shutter halfway to use focus peaking?  I did notice a funny thing, a shimmer, when I pressed a button in manual. Does that mean the subject is in focus?  I don't understand manuals very well.  I'm eagerly awaiting the first how-to book on the X-T1. Those books always save my bacon.

Betty

I'm still learning my way around this system, with more questions than answers, but I've uploaded 11 images today.  I'll be curious (anxious) to see if they pass.

I really like this camera, but for a Nikon shooter, the controls are like 360 degrees from what I'm used to.  I wish there was a dial that simply said A for aperture, S for shutter speed, and M for manual.  That by itself would greatly simplify my life!   :)

I'll get used to it.  I'll get used to it, I'll get used to it. I keep repeating that in my brain.  

And focus peaking?  I don't understand that at all.  Is that a product used in shooting only manual?  And do I have to hold down that teensy-tiny button at the same time I'm pressing the shutter halfway to use focus peaking?  I did notice a funny thing, a shimmer, when I pressed a button in manual. Does that mean the subject is in focus?  I don't understand manuals very well.  I'm eagerly awaiting the first how-to book on the X-T1. Those books always save my bacon.

Betty

Betty,See if youtube has any videos that might quickly help you. Manuals usually leave me more confused than figuring things on on my own. Videos work well too.  

L

I just saw a fashion shoot with the Fuji XT-1 and 56mm and 23mm lens.

Very impressive!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodkin/sets/72157643092464385/

I may get one.

I did a photo shoot last night and my shoulder felt like it was going to cave in with my heavy DSLR gear/flash/bracket 24-105mm lens/70-300/etc

Still in pain.

Thinking of just keeping the Canon 6D for now and getting rid of the 60D(big dislike...to me iso 250 and above doesn't look good on this camera) a few lenses and going Fuji mostly with a few primes.I did like the 18-55mm though...and the 50-200mm

L

Deep breath and carry on!

And....drumroll...they were processed in CC PS. Not Capture One. Not Irident. Not Photo Ninja.
I use ACR too and have no problems with the Fuji files especially with the latest update. I tried Capture One but actually preferred the results from PS.

Pearl

I just saw a fashion shoot with the Fuji XT-1 and 56mm and 23mm lens.

Very impressive!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodkin/sets/72157643092464385/

I may get one.

I did a photo shoot last night and my shoulder felt like it was going to cave in with my heavy DSLR gear/flash/bracket 24-105mm lens/70-300/etc

Still in pain.

Thinking of just keeping the Canon 6D for now and getting rid of the 60D(big dislike...to me iso 250 and above doesn't look good on this camera) a few lenses and going Fuji mostly with a few primes.I did like the 18-55mm though...and the 50-200mm

L

I have decided to get rid of all but my 1ds3 and pro glass and flash which I will keep until I am sure that Fuji have a sport solution, hopefully later this year. In the meantime all the consumer glass I used as walk-around, rarely used lenses (e.g. Sigma 12-24) and my EOS3 film cameras all go this summer to fund Fuji lenses as I find the need, no more buying stuff simply because I fancy it! (must resist temptation, that 56mm f1.2 looks nice though ...)

End of an era as I have used Canon, as my main camera,  since 1976 (Canon FTb n), doesn't look as though I will make 40 years! My shoulder, too, can't cope with a Pro DSLR kit.

David Hobby of strobist.com was in Dubai with the Fuji XT-1 and the 10-24mm lens.

Stunning results!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/with/13918295765

I just bought the camera w/the kit lens and the 10-24mm If I love love love it I will buy the 56mm 1.2 and 55-200mm and I'm done.

I kind of doubt I will keep the Canon gear(weight)but need to feel comfortable with the Fuji on assignment before I throw the baby out with the bath water.

L

David Hobby of strobist.com was in Dubai with the Fuji XT-1 and the 10-24mm lens.

Stunning results!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/with/13918295765

I just bought the camera w/the kit lens and the 10-24mm If I love love love it I will buy the 56mm 1.2 and 55-200mm and I'm done.

I kind of doubt I will keep the Canon gear(weight)but need to feel comfortable with the Fuji on assignment before I throw the baby out with the bath water.

L

Wise move, while I love my Fuji gear now, I also didn't sell my Canon gear until I had Fuji lenses covering the same range as the Canon. The 55-200 was the last lens to triger the sale. I loved the 100-400L and really wanted something that could produce images of a similar quality. Yes, it's lacking a little in FL on the long end but not massively. 

Everyone has different needs and requirements so it's always best to make sure rather than rely on reviews etc.

Edit.... great images in that link by the way!

Linda, hope you have your camera by now.  First off what will drive you nuts is the way you get to the shooting modes, Aperture priority, shutter priority, manual and program.

Quick tip:

Aperture priority - Set aperture value on lens, and shutter dial to "A"

Shutter priority - Aperture ring on lens to "A" and shutter dial to whatever number you want.

Program - Aperture ring to "A", shutter dial to "A"

Manual - aperture ring and shutter speed both to a number you set.

This is hard for me to remember, but with lots of use I surely will get it imprinted in my brain.  I am so used to the Nikon A, S, M dial.

The only thing that may hurt you is the flash conundrum.  All I have is the one that came with the camera that I've not even tried, but not sure if the bigger one you can order will give you what you need.

As far as "set up" shoots, I have ordered and have a system that will allow me to use my Nikon SB800s off camera, like for portraits and such.  I haven't tried it out, yet. I've had to much on my plate lately.  I need to go rent a cabin in the wilds by myself somewhere so I can quit trying to wear so many hats at the same time and just shoot, shoot, shoot, and learn all the pieces of what I've ordered.

Betty

Betty I don't think the focus peaking in the Fuji is very clear compared with the Sony Nex implementation.

Don't worry about it ! They may be able to improve it in the next firmware update.  I don't  [yet] have the XT-1 but use an XE-1 and the rather underrated XM-1. I am very pleased with them and the Fuji lenses and, like Martin am about to rationalise years of Nikon stuff,

Best wishes

John

Betty I don't think the focus peaking in the Fuji is very clear compared with the Sony Nex implementation.

Don't worry about it ! They may be able to improve it in the next firmware update.  I don't  [yet] have the XT-1 but use an XE-1 and the rather underrated XM-1. I am very pleased with them and the Fuji lenses and, like Martin am about to rationalise years of Nikon stuff,

Best wishes

John

I've not tried the focus peaking yet. That's available in manual only, isn't it?  The window with a shimmer? I think I saw that by accident one day, lol!  Thought I was in another mode but had changed enough dials to throw me into manual.  Boy, was I confused. :)

Archived