For the love of Mac.....consider a

Macbook Pro Retina!

I'd had my Macbook Air for traveling / mobile working for a while but due to the yellow colouring of the screen, I only ever used it for editing/selection and keywording and never processing. No matter how much I tried to calibrate the dammed screen it always had a yellow look to it. Apparently it is a common problem for that year/model. Something to do with the fact their were three screen suppliers and only one of them provided a screen that was brilliant white.

Well, this got the better of me and after the Apple store said I could bring back the Macbook Pro Retina if I wasn't happy with the quality of the display I thought I'd give it a go.

Still wanting to stay as light and mobile as possible, I opted for the 13", 256gb SSD with 8gb of ram. That coupled with my 2 250gb SSD usb drives I would have more than enough space for traveling. I often carry a 1tb standard usb drive as a backup as well... just in case. The three drives take up little space and way a few grams each.

I've been using this laptop for the last 2 weeks now, processing files on my main iMac and then continuing on the laptop and it is a massive improvement over the none Retina screens. Easy to calibrate, tons of detail and most importantly, matches the screen of the iMac perfectly.

I would be perfectly happy using it to process files on it to merely use the iMac screen as a final check when I return. Also, there is minimal change in image colour/luminance when the screen is tilted at different angles.

So, if you are looking for a mobile solution that is very fast, compact and provided great colours, detail and easy calibration, take a look at the Macbook Pro Retina 13". It really is a very nice bit of kit to use.... the level of detail is amazing!

Thanks Duncan I have been thinking about a replacement laptop for my old windows model. Since changing recently (Christmas) to an iMac from windows desktop I was looking at the Apple machines but could not make up my mind which to buy.

Will give your mobile outfit serious consideration.

"Unfortunately I have no one to show Duncan's post to."  :(

Allan

The screen really does it for me. The 4gb ram on the Macbook Air ran Photoshop, Capture One etc.... it did slow occasionally but not badly, it was always the screen that let it down. I only had 128gb SSD in the Air but again, I mainly use SSD usb drives so while the extra space on the Pro is nice, it wasn't essential. The extra ram though does make things faster and I would say is the most important thing after the screen.

There is a downside..... I'm now more tempted to work at night in front o the TV..... I sure I'll get that corrected!

Fess-up, Duncan -- where you wearing those yellow Ran Ban shooting glasses when working with that older Macbook Air?  :)

:D haha.... na.... but, it may have been the anti glare biking riding glasses  B) I've never been able to keep the laptop steady when I'm riding along though  :wacko:

The screen really does it for me. The 4gb ram on the Macbook Air ran Photoshop, Capture One etc.... it did slow occasionally but not badly, it was always the screen that let it down. I only had 128gb SSD in the Air but again, I mainly use SSD usb drives so while the extra space on the Pro is nice, it wasn't essential. The extra ram though does make things faster and I would say is the most important thing after the screen.

There is a downside..... I'm now more tempted to work at night in front o the TV..... I sure I'll get that corrected!

For £150 more I think the 256GB drive and 8GB ram is worth it.

Allan

"There is a downside..... I'm now more tempted to work at night in front o the TV..... I sure I'll get that corrected!"

Well, I haven't !

...and I now do most of my processing on it.

ann

"There is a downside..... I'm now more tempted to work at night in front o the TV..... I sure I'll get that corrected!"

Well, I haven't !

...and I now do most of my processing on it.

ann

Yeah.... you're right, it's very unlikely to happen..... I get to much done at night, one eye peering over the top at the tv every now and again while processing / keywording shots etc. Leaves me with more time to play.... I mean work.... in the studio during the day!!!

Archived