X-T1, Aperture priority?

OK, I know this is an absolutely stupid question.  You may call me stupid.

I got my camera about 6:30 in the evening yesterday.  I'm trying to set it up.  Reading the manual, although I never did "get" manuals too much.

I want to set up aperture priority.

Looking at all these pretty little dials, I like it.  Anything like my Nikons?  Not on your life. 

So..Aperture priority, I dial the shutter speed dial to the red A? Then how do I adjust aperture?  The manual says, to adjust aperture manually while letting the camera select shutter speed for optimal exposure, rotate the shutter speed dial to A and adjust aperture as desired. A will appear in the display.

I assume I turn the front command dial, is that right?  I'm just so unfamiliar with this camera.

I would be interested to know what you each are using for your settings.  RAW and jpeg, both?  Are you shooting in Program? (or does it have "Program, lol) Aperture? Shutter?  Or let the image dictate, which I'm sure shooting fast moving things one would always shoot shutter priority.  But for everything else, what mode?

Auto ISO or set it? Adobe RGB? That's what I set.  

I think I'll shoot RAW + jpeg for awhile, since I'm very curious about jpeg quality, yet don't want to lose my digital negatives and all those possibilities.

I have the 18-55 and 10-24 lenses, with the 56 on backorder.  Also, not real sure how to check for light leak.  I don't want to put on my LCD cover until I know it doesn't have the light leak.  

I want to take a few test images, but hate to do so badly at it that my heart sinks. 

Betty

Move the aperture control on the lens from A to the iris symbol. The shutter speed to A. You can then control the aperture with the rear most ring on the lens, the aperture ring (unmarked on the zooms). Just like on old manual film cameras!

I had to check, I use shutter-priority when I don't use manual (only 1-2% of time).

I think you can set the rear control dial to do it if you wish, have to for XC lenses but you have XF.

Betty, some of the lenses have aperture markings and others don't.  The zoom lenses, from the ones I own, don't - you have to rely on the screen or the view finder to see your setting.  On the prime lenses, you have aperture numbers.  Set the aperture to the aperture you'd like and the shutter speed to 'A' and you are on aperture priority.  Set the Aperture to 'A' and the shutter speed you'd like you're on shutter priority.  Set both to 'A' and you are on "program".

Fuji have at least one lens where you have to alter the aperture using the wheel under your thumb on the back of the camera body.

Allan

Fuji have at least one lens where you have to alter the aperture using the wheel under your thumb on the back of the camera body.

Allan

That is the (2?) XC consumer lenses. Most of the lens available to date have been the premium XF range.

Allan

That is the (2?) XC consumer lenses. Most of the lens available to date have been the premium XF range.

Martin,

I am thinking of the 27mm f2.8 XF. (which I have)  Never looked at the XC lenses.

Allan

Light leak check. Open the flap that covers where the remote is plugged in, and shine a torch - if there's a light leak then it will show on the rear LCD.

I bought a X-T1 a couple of weeks back and some handsome Lee Seven5 filters. Very pleased with the higher ISO performance. Only used it hand held at present - very versatile with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. Also carries well in a Billingham Hadley small.

I bought a Fstop bag, the Millar Shibata in Silver Sage. 

There is room for the T1 with a lens mounted, and two more lenses. A pocket on each end, another zipper pocket to carry xtra batteries, memory cards, manual, etc.

The whole thing isn't any larger than a med-large woman's handbag.  Men and women are buying this bag. It is canvas, not stiff.  It isn't waterproof, but I don't shoot in the rain, never have, unless from a car.

I ordered the 56mm 1.2 lens from Amazon today, it will be here Saturday.

Betty

Guest dlmphotog

Light leak check. Open the flap that covers where the remote is plugged in, and shine a torch - if there's a light leak then it will show on the rear LCD.

I never understood how this “light leak” would manifest itself in a real-world shooting scenario?

I normally don’t find myself shining a light into my camera… :)  So I have never tested for the “defect”. :o

David L. Moore

I never understood how this “light leak” would manifest itself in a real-world shooting scenario?

I normally don’t find myself shining a light into my camera… :)  So I have never tested for the “defect”. :o

David L. Moore

Haha... same here. I did send mine in for the repair though. Just in case I upgrade it in the future I can say it has been repaired.

The only time I can think of when it would be a problem, would be a very long exposure shot during the day with the door open with the remote timer cord plugged in. Most, if not all, long exposures I do are late in the day so the natural light is not that strong = no impact.

That said, they were really good with the repair. From ringing them up, receiving the package to post the camera to them and receiving it back repaired was 8 days.

Apparently the light leak only manifested itself when undertaking long exposures whilst using a remote (99% of my Canon exposures are tripod and remote).  When I went to the London Camera Exchange Pro Show in Southampton a couple of weeks or so ago, one of the Fuji reps demonstrated the light leak test. He also said it only affected early batches.

Archived