Nikon has entered the mirrorless competition

But the Nikon has a tiny sensor, smaller than even 4/3 and less than a third of the area of Fuji's APS-C or a seventh of full frame (lens equiv factor 2.7 as opposed to APS-C of 1.5/1.6).

But the killer for me is no viewfinder and the (apparently) ridiculous price. And of course I have already happily gone Fuji.

But the Nikon has a tiny sensor, smaller than even 4/3 and less than a third of the area of Fuji's APS-C or a seventh of full frame (lens equiv factor 2.7 as opposed to APS-C of 1.5/1.6).

But the killer for me is no viewfinder and the (apparently) ridiculous price. And of course I have already happily gone Fuji.

Investigated this further, Martin, and I am dismissing it.  The Fuji X-T1 sensor is 23.6x15.6 compared to the Nikon 13.24x8.8!!!  Huge difference.  Although B&H is offering a free grip and optical viewfinder for pre-orders.  Not for me.  I do like the better video, but that's not a deal breaker.

Investigated this further, Martin, and I am dismissing it.  The Fuji X-T1 sensor is 23.6x15.6 compared to the Nikon 13.24x8.8!!!  Huge difference.  Although B&H is offering a free grip and optical viewfinder for pre-orders.  Not for me.  I do like the better video, but that's not a deal breaker.

Wise move I think :)  I guess Nikon and Canon can't really do an APS-C or larger mirrorless camera without competing with their own (more profitable) DSLRs. I guess none of the other Compact System Camera (CSC) suppliers have a significant share of the market so they would be competing with themselves; until of course one of C or N bites the bullet and gets serious with a proper CSC offering. Then the other will have to react.

Pure coincidence that I published a two-pager on using the Nikon 1 V2 with 28 and 18 to 300mm Nikon lenses on their adaptor, to get an 810mm equivalent, in the first of our new issues of f2 magazine. I did the report last year for the BJP, they failed to run it, and I got it back when I had to produce f2 in record time and needed the article. The V3 camera will be even better, and I can assure you that the V2 at 300mm is an extremely powerful professional tool - bitingly sharp images, perfectly focused, and also with very efficient stabilisation. The new camera is more or less equal to a 130 megapixel full frame sensor, so imagine shooting with a 300mm lens on that and then cropping.

David, if you say it, it is so.  How can that sensor, being as small as it is, compete with Fuji's X-T1's nearly twice as large sensor?  How was noise?  I'm really interested to know, as it the new camera is 18mp.  More pixels on a smaller sensor.  Were you rating jpegs or RAWs?

David, I would not be worried about sharpness with a good lens on pretty well any sensor but what is high ISO performance like, how is the noise on the much smaller sensor of the Nikon? My Fuji X-E1 is fully usable (with correct exposure) at 1600, even 3200 for many subjects.

Martin, you get f2! You may have missed my high ISO night shot taken on the V2 with the 10-30mm lens. Of course a smallish repro in print can not do much to show the quality.

Here's a pointless snap at ISO 2000 - this is just me aiming the camera at random, in my badly lit store-room, to check repeated focusing on various targets and low ISO. The sort of test I do but don't publish, I can learn loads from such captures very quickly. 100% view, 1/30th at f/5.6 wide open at 30mm, focus not very precise, some trace of residual shake after VR, but is this really all that bad for noise?

original.jpg

And this is the last model, I imagine the new higher resolution one will actually be better.

David

The Fuji X-T1, like the Sony NEX-6 and the 20 megapixel A3000 or the Nikon D3300 and pretty much ALL APS-C/DX cameras today should be effectively noise-free at 1600 when processed using moderate NR and sharpening combinations in ACR. EI 3200 is more variable but it often depends on the subject and light level, colour WB etc so you can get near-perfect 3200 when well exposed in neutral daylight, or fairly noisy 3200 when underexposed in poor light (which can include incomplete spectrum light, such as fluorescent energy saving or LED lighting). The Nikon example I just posted is from the edge of the frame, and is also under fluorescent light with no daylight present, so a pretty hard test of the sensor.

It will use all of the AF-S G or Silent Wave focusing lenses, with the FT-1 adaptor. They also autofocus, unlike most Sony lenses for example when adapted to NEX from Alpha (they may try but don't work - Nikon's protocol translation seems to be successful and their lenses from the F system actually AF well on the 1 system).

Nikon has always done a good job with making their lenses available across the board.  That's the main reason I went Nikon rather than Canon back when I first wrestled with deciding between the two.

Betty

Archived