Fujifilm-X-Pro1-getting the best from Raw

Today I have been road testing the Fujifilm-X-Pro1, after updating both camera and 18mm lens firmware I have finally extracted some

pretty good quality jpgs. The raw files however are not so good using silkypix.

How can i get the best from The RAF files?. Has anyone found a good workflow?.

Regards

Craig

I use Capture 1 Pro with my X-E1 and am very happy with the results. I have recovered great shadow detail which had been invisible on the in-camera jpegs. I know others have used the Express or lite version of C1. I have been happy using with C1 Pro with my Canons, currently 1Ds3, almost since it was released (10 years ago?) but I do the bare minimum of post-production.

Try Iridient Developer (mac only) or, Capture One Pro (windows and mac). 

Capture One Pro (C1) is more of a complete system, processing, keywording and storage. I like their Sessions system (only pro version not express). Default output from C1 looks good, nice colours and detail. Some packages can leave you with a watercolour effect if they are to aggressive with Sharpening, Noise reduction and clarity. Both these packages give loads of control over those elements

Both of these packages process raws very well indeed. 

I tend to use Iridient and found it particularly good for correcting a slight cast often seen in blue skies. I'm trying Capture One Pro at the moment.

Dxo Optics Pro : I enquired and they have no plans to support the X-trans sensor as it would mean too much work on their algorithms already optimised for Bayer sensors [it's on their web site - I think I've seen this in another thread on the Forum]

Kind Regards

John

Using C1Pro at the moment for my X-E2 RAF files. This will process to 8bit TIFFs which I have to use in PSE. (PSE will not accept 16bit files).

Is there any advantage in using Iridient Developer for processing RAF files over C1Pro?  (Apart from the fact that it will only process TIFFs to 16bit or higher - which are not of use when using PSE).

The reason for asking is that I am finding my workflow in C1Pro rather slow (cumbersome) compared to when I used Canons DPP and wondered if it may be quicker.

Allan

Allan, I use Capture One for all my RAW files from Fuji, Canon, Panasonic and Leica and find it very quick. I have profiles for all cameras and lens combinations and only need a few tweaks to WB and exposure before I'm done. Maybe this is the way to go for your own use. Iridient is a very competent RAW developer but not particularly intuitive or quick to use (IMHO).

Allan, I use Capture One for all my RAW files from Fuji, Canon, Panasonic and Leica and find it very quick. I have profiles for all cameras and lens combinations and only need a few tweaks to WB and exposure before I'm done. Maybe this is the way to go for your own use. Iridient is a very competent RAW developer but not particularly intuitive or quick to use (IMHO).

2nd that. It's ok if you have one or two images to process but if you have 100's, C1 is quicker.

I also create presets for standard tweaks etc and make good use of the Recipe system for exporting files etc. Just wish they would hurry up with the updated version to allow Fuji's X-T1 raws to be processed. I just can't get away with other systems now I've used C1.  

Trawling through C1Pro user guide I notice they include a metadata field specifically for Getty. Wonder if they would consider setting one up for Alamy?

Allan

I just put all my keywords in the main keyword field (using Photomechanic) and the cut and paste once I have uploaded to Alamy into esskeys or main as appropriate. It makes the whole Manage Images process quick and easy and it leaves my archive with full metadata in case I need to search it or send images to other libraries. By using C1 Pro and recipes means any export (whatever format) has all the metadata.

Just downloaded a C1Pro update (7.2) but there is no mention of Fuji X-T1. Sorry.

Seems to be mostly related to tethered shooting and phase one equipment.

Allan

Sorry to post again but as Fuji X-T1 uses same sensor as X-E2 surely C1Pro would still process the RAF image correctly.

Or am I missing something?

Allan

Sorry to post again but as Fuji X-T1 uses same sensor as X-E2 surely C1Pro would still process the RAF image correctly.

Or am I missing something?

Allan

You would think so. I contacted them to ask of possible timescales of a release including the X-T1 i.e. within the next week or longer so I could decide whether to postpone processing for a week, or look for an alternative in the short term if it was going to be longer. They said they don't discuss release dates?!?! I explained I didn't need a date just a more or less than 7 days! Still wouldn't say.

Not the most helpful..... however, C1 is the best for X Trans raw processing, just wish they'd be a little more customer friendly.

Adobe have released a beta ACR 8.4 which does an ok job, but adobe still seems to smudge detail compared to C1 and even the OOC Jpgs. Iridient Developer is good, but not really geared towards volume processing and storing etc. 

The good news is that the Fuji Jpgs are really good and will take a good bit of processing themselves so I think I'll just store the raws and use the Jpgs for now.

Archived