Working for National Geographic

NYCat

I just came from a wonderful seminar at B&H with Steve Winter. They were taping it so it should show up on youtube if you are interested. As usual when hearing from someone who is at the top of their field I was impressed by how very hard he works and not always at the things that are "fun". He stressed the storytelling part of what he does and he is always thinking about composition. Also he always looks for a way to do something different so that it's not the same image people have seen over and over of the animal. He shoots from below, from above -- always looking for new ideas. It was quite inspirational and the images are wonderful. I was pleased to hear him say that tourists are an important part of preserving the wild creatures. If the local people can make a living from the animals without killing them they will protect them.

Paulette

Thanks, Ed. She was one child star who seemed to emerge a healthy adult. I no longer look like that, alas, but that is exactly how I feel when I see a glorious wild animal.

Paulette

Archived