Mac and software overhaul

Having largely used the same Mac and bridge/ photoshop combination since 2006, I'm thinking its time for an update- even though my current combination works well.

Have decided on a new Mac desktop, but am wondering about software- as I feel a little in the dark about options- maybe lightroom and photoshop

I shoot mainly stock on a 5d mark 1 and fuji xe1

What software would others get?

Thanks

Martin

I'm a Lightroom and Photoshop user, with Photomechanic for my more news oriented work (mainly for the ingest of locked only files and the captioning support with stored captions and code replacement).

I have the Adobe products on a CC deal (just under £9/month) having taken advantage of the deal towards the end of last year.

It really depends on how much you do in Photoshop - from what I have seen the recent versions of Elements are pretty functional if you don't want to drop for the full version of Photoshop. Lightroom does 95% of everything I need - only detailed retouching and perspective correction activity now in PS - and I think you can do perspective work in Lightroom now !

Having largely used the same Mac and bridge/ photoshop combination since 2006, I'm thinking its time for an update- even though my current combination works well.

Have decided on a new Mac desktop, but am wondering about software- as I feel a little in the dark about options- maybe lightroom and photoshop

I shoot mainly stock on a 5d mark 1 and fuji xe1

What software would others get?

Thanks

Martin

If you had been shooting just the 5d (bayer sensor) I would say you could use the Lightroom PS combination.

With the addition of the Fuji X-E1, I would recommend Capture One Express (or pro if you wan the extra features). The pro version costs more to begin with but updates cost the same as LR updates.

Capture one will manages the X-Trans sensor files much better, you'll get a whole lot better detail and colour at default settings. They do a 60 day trial, no restrictions on usage.

If you only use the X-E1 occasionally, you could go with LR and Iridient Developer. Iridient doesn't have a cataloging system but produces very good X Trans files.

I have the X-Pro1 & X-E1 and use Capture One Pro 7. I prefer it over LR as it provides far greater detail and control when compared to LR. I also like the Session system rather than the Catalogue system (only available in Pro version). Colour management and Layers is a lot better in C1 Pro as well. Plus, you can customise the order of your keywords which makes things easy when submitting to multiple agencies. Keyword files on your computer, upload to all agencies plus Alamy. Copy and paste the first few in essential, next ones in Main.... and so on.

With layers in Capture One, I only use PS for complex manipulation / arty stuff etc. 

All my images are stored on a central NAS drive and C1 Pro allows you to access and work on those files over the network. No need to have them store on your desktop PC. This makes things easier to backup as well (Raid & 2nd NAS systems) and is accessible from any PC at the same time.

You mean the Haswell  iMac 27 inch with either a fusion/ssd/standard 7200 drive?

I only ask because if you are just using it for photography and general all round computer type business then great. If you are intending in anyway to have audio come from it - to external speakers/monitors for stuff like Youtube/video/movies/whatever using an audio interface - then I strongly urge you to reconsider at this time. You need to be aware of this, just in case of resale and Apple do not address the problem with the iMac Haswell chips and drives and instead, just bring out a new model - based on a 'just in case I want to sell it one day' scenario.

They will not under any circumstances tell you about this issue in the Apple stores or online. They have a policy of denial at Apple and they are under strict orders not to admit to any fault of their products for obvious reasons. But the feeling out there at the moment is that there should have been a total recall on the Haswell iMacs. Just for yours and anyone's information. If you have bought one already, then you need to look at your use etc. If you have not bought one as yet, I would urge you to reconsider waiting a while.

Archived