RX10 Lens Profile for LR5

It is not needed. The profile is built-in to the raw files so you just have to switch lens correction on and it is automatically loaded. I created a profile for the RX10 and uploaded it to Adobe, before discovering that ACR/LR latest versions access the embedded profile (if you manage to find my profile do not use it, as the result is double correction). I was also surprised to find that the RX10 lens needs hardly any correction. It's not like the RX100 where the wide angle end is almost a fisheye and gets corrrected to make it a 28mm. The 24mm end of the RX10 zoom is about the best-mannered 24mm you'll find.

Thanks David,

I am managing quite well without it, certainly no noticeable distortion.   I have noticed some slight vignetting but easy to correct.   I convert to DNG when importing and I wonder whether the lens correction survives the conversion ARW to DNG.  I expect that it does but I will try an experimental  comparison of ARW vs DNG to find out.

It is not needed. The profile is built-in to the raw files so you just have to switch lens correction on and it is automatically loaded. I created a profile for the RX10 and uploaded it to Adobe, before discovering that ACR/LR latest versions access the embedded profile (if you manage to find my profile do not use it, as the result is double correction). I was also surprised to find that the RX10 lens needs hardly any correction. It's not like the RX100 where the wide angle end is almost a fisheye and gets corrrected to make it a 28mm. The 24mm end of the RX10 zoom is about the best-mannered 24mm you'll find.

Until the RX10, I used to make it a habit to pull back a little from the extreme ends of my zooms. But the 24mm on the RX10 looks just great. I've not used the 200mm yet.

Peter, on LR5 there is a perspective tool: found under Lens Corrections > Basic. Just click Auto on and off the see what happens. 

"Until the RX10, I used to make it a habit to pull back a little from the extreme ends of my zooms. But the 24mm on the RX10 looks just great. I've not used the 200mm yet.

Peter, on LR5 there is a perspective tool: found under Lens Corrections > Basic. Just click Auto on and off the see what happens."

Ed,

I have used the 200mm in Whitby, shooting a chap climbing on statue of James Cook (he who found Australia for us).  The plinth of the statue is, I guess about 15 feet high.  He climbed this with a full pint of beer in one hand.  His lady friend was taking pictures with her phone (as they do).  I was about 200 yards away and at 200mm EFL  the height of the man was about 1/10 of image height or about 550 pixels.   Viewed at 1:1 his facial expression and the amount of froth on the top of his beer are clearly visible.  So that little test shows that the 200mm end seems as good as the 24mm....

When I got LR5, I did not think I would use the perspective correction very much.  In fact I find it very useful for correcting verticals, especially for minor camera tilts sideways or upwards.

I have just tried clicking Auto on and off as you suggest, with strange results.  I looked at an image of some farm machinery shot with the camera pretty well level and upright.   Set to "Off" the picture looks completely natural,  but on "Auto" the bottom spreads out as if pictured looking up from a close and low viewpoint.   What is happening here?

I must learn how to post images here, a picture being worth 999 words or more for describing this sort of thing..

Peter - the strange effect can be due to having another lens profile loaded as default, and there being no .lcp file to find instead. This happens to me often. I'll have a lens which does not have an auto-detected profile, and ACR/LR will use whatever I had loaded last, so my 18-35mm Sigma f/1.8 (well, not mine, on test...) gets a profile for the 8-16mm instead.

Until the RX10, I used to make it a habit to pull back a little from the extreme ends of my zooms. But the 24mm on the RX10 looks just great. I've not used the 200mm yet.

Peter, on LR5 there is a perspective tool: found under Lens Corrections > Basic. Just click Auto on and off the see what happens. 

I used the 200mm wide open for a concert/theatrical  lighting situation from row 'S' and most of the shots look really good. Most of the ones that do not were my fault as it was my first day of using the camera.

"Peter - the strange effect can be due to having another lens profile loaded as default, and there being no .lcp file to find instead. This happens to me often. I'll have a lens which does not have an auto-detected profile, and ACR/LR will use whatever I had loaded last, so my 18-35mm Sigma f/1.8 (well, not mine, on test...) gets a profile for the 8-16mm instead."

David - I am sure you are right, and I have not any way to fix it, apart from the obvious way of not using "Auto".  Not sure what Ed Rooney expected me to see when he suggested trying this, maybe he will let us know...

Maybe a bug that Adobe will fix later.

I think the only profiles I have used since installing LR5.3 are RX100 and Olympus 12-60.  The latter has now gone to Ffordes for sale having been made redundant by the RX10

Archived