Customer choice

geogphotos

On 17/09/2024 at 06:47, geogphotos said:

That there is a lot of duplication because there are no constraints.

Presumably quite of few of them are Public Domain images that have been copied and uploaded to Alamy? There's quite a range of image resolutions from 5MB (tiny!) to 195MB, but apart from that, many are very, very similar.

Mark

10 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Presumably quite of few of them are Public Domain images that have been copied and uploaded to Alamy? There's quite a range of image resolutions from 5MB (tiny!) to 195MB, but apart from that, many are very, very similar.

Mark

Yes all Public Domain. There are many more extreme examples of duplication than this particular image - try some of van Gogh.

With this you can see signs of a photographer doing some processing to change contrast and brightness - one seems to be an Alamy photographer who I know is a professional, presumably finds PD collections worthwhile and worth the effort to try and standout from the crowd.

I have a few PD images myself so am not complaining about their existence on Alamy - it is the wild duplication that I am commenting on not the why's and wherefore's.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

it is the wild duplication that I am commenting on not the why's and wherefore's.

Agreed, quite a waste of server resources having so many similars/dupes. I wouldn't be surprised if some are exact dupes.

Mark

21 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Agreed, quite a waste of server resources having so many similars/dupes. I wouldn't be surprised if some are exact dupes.

Mark

Download high res version ( 8,859 × 9,916 pixels) from here

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Madox_Brown_-_The_Last_of_England_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Edited by geogphotos