Plant or flower ID

Alan Beastall

Question

6 answers to this question

The purple one is bearded Iris but what cultivar I wouldn’t know. The bright pink? Check out Azalias & decide for yourself. The last spiky one, check out Touch-Me-Nots. Please don’t trust me like you would John Richmond, I’m just suggesting flowers to check to see if you find a match.

I hesitate to mention the others. I’m not a flower expert but I have identified some of mine through very intensive research. If yours were mine, I’d put in the time, but they aren’t mine. I have spent hours, and even hours on multiple days sometimes to make an identification.

Many of mine I know because I bought them & have the ID tags. Others I’ve taken in formal gardens that had metal ID tags. Some I’m familiar with because I’ve been around them for years. It’s that odd one, or some wildflower I’m unfamiliar with that I’ve spent way too much time on until it drove me crazy. I’ve had to just give up on a few.

Good luck. I’ve never seen that beautiful orange group before.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

OK, I've got a few minutes so I'll give it a go.

#1: Bearded Iris. Hard to tell from the pic if it's a tall standard or one of the shorter ones that flower earlier in the year

#2: Cistus, possibly the hybrid x corbariensis

#3: Rhododoendron - looks like one of the evergreen hardy hybrids but there are so many of them IDing is difficult unless they're distinctive

#4: Philadelphus (mock orange), probably coronarius

#5: Primula bulleyana (candelabra primula) or a close hybrid that carries the orange colour of the species

#6: Another Rhododendron this one an Azalea type

#7: Thalictrum, probibably aquilegifolium, possibly 'Thundercloud'

Hope this helps

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The purple one is bearded Iris but what cultivar I wouldn’t know. The bright pink? Check out Azalias & decide for yourself. The last spiky one, check out Touch-Me-Nots. Please don’t trust me like you would John Richmond, I’m just suggesting flowers to check to see if you find a match.

I hesitate to mention the others. I’m not a flower expert but I have identified some of mine through very intensive research. If yours were mine, I’d put in the time, but they aren’t mine. I have spent hours, and even hours on multiple days sometimes to make an identification.

Many of mine I know because I bought them & have the ID tags. Others I’ve taken in formal gardens that had metal ID tags. Some I’m familiar with because I’ve been around them for years. It’s that odd one, or some wildflower I’m unfamiliar with that I’ve spent way too much time on until it drove me crazy. I’ve had to just give up on a few.

Good luck. I’ve never seen that beautiful orange group before.

Thanks Betty for the reply, you have been a great help.

Alan

3 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

OK, I've got a few minutes so I'll give it a go.

#1: Bearded Iris. Hard to tell from the pic if it's a tall standard or one of the shorter ones that flower earlier in the year

#2: Cistus, possibly the hybrid x corbariensis

#3: Rhododoendron - looks like one of the evergreen hardy hybrids but there are so many of them IDing is difficult unless they're distinctive

#4: Philadelphus (mock orange), probably coronarius

#5: Primula bulleyana (candelabra primula) or a close hybrid that carries the orange colour of the species

#6: Another Rhododendron this one an Azalea type

#7: Thalictrum, probibably aquilegifolium, possibly 'Thundercloud'

Hope this helps

John

Wow thanks John, a true plant expert. I am truly  greatfull for our help.

Alan

• Like 1

Great answers above - but for future I've found Google Lens very helpful in identifying species and varieties depicted in similar images.

Roy

• Thanks 1