How to interprete the different ctr & "total zooms" values alamy provides?

InUseByAnotherMember

Question

Posted (edited)

Can please anyone explain me how i can interprete the different values alamy provides for "total views" and ctr?

To avoid missunderstandings: i do understand the meanings of the individual terms.

On "my dashboard" in the "Alamy Measures" section, i get a chart showing me the CTR on a timeline for the last year.
There, for May 2024 it reads CTR 0%.
The figures on the left side of the chart show "Total Zooms: 3" (so that means i had for the whole past year 3 Zooms)

Now i click on "Your images"
Here i get for May 2024

"Total Views" = 16
"Total Zooms" =
"Average CTR" = 0
"Total CTR" = 0

After I click on my Pseudonym 
-> I get a table of search terms that showed my images for may 2024. If i sum up the values of the columns, i get a total of:
"your views" = 16 (same value as shown on the previous page for "Total views", so that i understand)

"Total Zooms" = 8
"Total CTR(%)" = 8.00
"total views" = 100 for every table-row (search term) (which completely confuses me)

At the bottom of this page, there is a summary:
Total Zooms: 0
Average CTR: 0
Total CTR: 0

These values match with the values from "Your images" but not with the table of "my Pseudonym" (which gives you a more detailed view)

Why do the values from "your images" differ from "my Pseudonym" - table?
Which numbers are to be trusted?
Why is the graph on "my dashboard" - "Alamy Measures" showing 0% CTR although i had zooms for may 2024 according to "my Pseudonym"?
Why are the figures on the left side of the chart showing for the whole year a "Total Zooms: 3", if i already have 8 Zooms in May 2024 (according to the table in "my Pseudonym")?

Thanks very much for your help!

Edited by InUseByAnotherMember

16 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

When looking at the table 

On 08/06/2024 at 12:02, InUseByAnotherMember said:

-> I get a table of search terms that showed my images for may 2024. If i sum up the values of the columns, i get a total of:
"your views" = 16 (same value as shown on the previous page for "Total views", so that i understand)

"Total Zooms" = 8
"Total CTR(%)" = 8.00
"total views" = 100 for every table-row (search term) (which completely confuses me)

In the pseudonym table;

Total views column shows the  number of images (from all contributors, not just yours) returned on a page that the customer saw when searching with the given search word(s). A full page of images contains 100 images (which is why you may see multiple lines of 100 if the customer viewed more than one page of results containing at least one of your images). If you had views on several pages then you’ll see one or more lines of “100” and possibly another with a smaller number, all with the same search word(s).

Total zooms column shows the number of zooms recorded for images returned by the search on a given page of results. Most of these images and zooms will belong to other contributors.

It didn’t used to be like this, Alamy used to add up all the views for a given search and put on one line, but now entries are split on a page by page basis, which is much more confusing IMO.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 2

Hi Juergen,

Some nice images there. I really wouldn't worry about the Alamy measures for such a small portfolio; they're either going to be virtually non existent and / or all over the place. Get more images up!

Steve

• Like 2

my advice for contributors
a. English is not their first language so their keywording is slow
b. they have only a small portion of their processed images online for sale

they should, IMO, quickly add up to (5) of the most obvious keywords
to all their images that are not for sale & upload to Alamy asap!!
they can come back to those images any time & additionally keyword
but at
least all those image now have a real chance of licensing...

so for example, you have (101) images for sale
some seem decades old so one logically infers
you also have 10,000 more images not for sale...
gawblimey, get them online asap !!

PS. even I am contemplating adapting this scheme:
upcoming itinerary 24 days, prolly 3K keepers;
it will take up to 6 mos normally to get all online;
I may process & quick-keyword just location &
attraction name, have it all live within month...
come back later with "advanced" keywording...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 2

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for you advices. I usually immediately keyword my uploads as soon as they passed QC.
However, my question referred to the (for me) confusing information that alamy provides about CTR and Total Views - and how these are to be interpreted.

On 08/06/2024 at 07:02, InUseByAnotherMember said:

Can please anyone explain me how i can interprete the different values alamy provides for "total views" and ctr?

To avoid missunderstandings: i do understand the meanings of the individual terms.

On "my dashboard" in the "Alamy Measures" section, i get a chart showing me the CTR on a timeline for the last year.
There, for May 2024 it reads CTR 0%.
The figures on the left side of the chart show "Total Zooms: 3" (so that means i had for the whole past year 3 Zooms)

Now i click on "Your images"
Here i get for May 2024

"Total Views" = 16
"Total Zooms" =
"Average CTR" = 0
"Total CTR" = 0

"Total Zooms" = 8
"Total CTR(%)" = 8.00

At the bottom of this page, there is a summary:
Total Zooms: 0
Average CTR: 0
Total CTR: 0

These values match with the values from "Your images" but not with the table of "my Pseudonym" (which gives you a more detailed view)

Which numbers are to be trusted?
Why is the graph on "my dashboard" - "Alamy Measures" showing 0% CTR although i had zooms for may 2024 according to "my Pseudonym"?
Why are the figures on the left side of the chart showing for the whole year a "Total Zooms: 3", if i already have 8 Zooms in May 2024 (according to the table in "my Pseudonym")?

Thanks very much for your help!

This is what I use....

I have never paid any attention to CTR. My Zooms rarely turn into Sales but it gives me an idea of which subjects are most interesting to customers and which shot of a subject is the one that interests them. On the big table you see after clicking the pseudonym I have Your Zooms set to show the most at the top. If you click on Your Zooms you will get the little arrow to point either up or down. If it points down you'll see your zooms at the top. Going into All of Alamy can show a lot about what people are searching for. I seldom do that but it can be useful for seeing the keywords that are actually used.

Paulette

Paulette

• Like 1

if one's priority is maximizing net $$ via maximized sales,
then get one's (101) image count boosted asap;
collecting off-line processed images whilst playing
games with data is a "crime" in the minds of some...
juggle data AFTER everything is online & reasonably
(e.g., 5 tags) offered for sale;
  • Like 2

I agree with Jeff about the importance of getting a lot online at the beginning. If you don't make $250 in your first year your cut of the sales will go from 40% to 20%.

Paulette

Posted (edited)

Thanks very much both of you, Jeffrey & NYCat. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and share your knowledge.
While your advice is valuable and i understand the importance of prioritizing, still it bothers me not completely understanding how alamy works and how to interpret certain information alamy provides.

Posting / discussing a question in the forum is something i can do while commuting and is therefore no waste of time and not a matter of priority for me, but additional gaining of understanding.

Edited by InUseByAnotherMember

24 minutes ago, InUseByAnotherMember said:

Posting / discussing a question in the forum is something i can do while commuting and is therefore no waste of time and not a matter of priority for me, but additional gaining of understanding.

Sounds like a good use of commuting time. There's a lot of information on the Forum, for sure.

Are they both for the same time period? That's probably why they're different.

Not sure about this, but Alamy is currently running some website updates, they're doing another one this Sunday apparently.

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I have never paid any attention to CTR. My Zooms rarely turn into Sales but it gives me an idea of which subjects are most interesting to customers and which shot of a subject is the one that interests them.

Ditto, I just use the Measures to see what gets zoomed so I have an idea of what interests clients. I also take the opportunity to review the caption and keywords on zoomed images, particularly if they're a few years old.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Sounds like a good use of commuting time.

or some might do this whilst commuting:

a. put (100) untagged processed images in mobile cell phone
b. put mobile cell phone in holder on dashboard
c. speak (5) tags for 1st photo, swipe
d. speak (5) tags for 2nd photo, swipe
e. speak (5) tags for 3rd photo, swipe
etc etc etc
xx. speak (5) tags for 50th photo
yy. park vehicle, go to work
zz. repeat a-xx for images 51-100, PM commute, park vehicle,
go home, send (100) tagged images to Alamy...
one week commuting = 500 new online images
one month commuting = 2000 new online images

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
or some might do this whilst commuting:

a. put (100) untagged processed images in mobile cell phone
b. put mobile cell phone in holder on dashboard
c. speak (5) tags for 1st photo, swipe
d. speak (5) tags for 2nd photo, swipe
e. speak (5) tags for 3rd photo, swipe
etc etc etc
xx. speak (5) tags for 50th photo
yy. park vehicle, go to work
zz. repeat a-xx for images 51-100, PM commute, park vehicle,
go home, send (100) tagged images to Alamy...
one week commuting = 500 new online images
one month commuting = 2000 new online images

Sounds great, but dangerous! I would suggest not doing photo stuff when driving. I've seen enough dashcam videos to see what happens when people fiddle on their phones whilst driving. 😝

Pretty sure OP is getting the train too.

p.s. maybe not getting the train, I see they're in America probably...

Edited by Steve F

Thanks again for your time and effort in responding.

I am based in Central Europe and commute by train.
But anyway, thats not the topic at hand. Please, if you have any information relevant to the topic, i would be glad if you are willing to share your insights and enlighten me. 

For everything else, please allow me to manage my own circumstances.
I dont intend to be rude, absolutely not, but I would like to ensure that our discussion remains focused.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

• Dislike 1