Seagate (LaCie rugged) external drive

Posted (edited)

I bought a Seagate (LaCie rugged) external drive, which caused (alarming) problems with the laptop (a high pitched beeping, and often the laptop wouldn't recognise it).

I had to return it. The replacement did the same, so I am back to SanDisk (which seemingly aren't as resilient).

I am wondering if anyone else uses these drives, and what your experience has been.

Maybe it's simply that my laptop didn't like it .... 

Edited by BidC

12 minutes ago, BidC said:

I bought one a Seagate (LaCie rugged) external drive, which caused (alarming) problems with the laptop (a high pitched beeping, and often the laptop wouldn't recognise it).

I had to return it. The replacement did the same, so I am back to SanDisk (which seemingly aren't as resilient).

I am wondering if anyone else uses these drives, and what your experience has been.

Maybe it's simply that my laptop didn't like it .... 

Seagate One Touch here on Win, several of them, not a single problem so far (1,5-2 years). 

16 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Seagate One Touch here on Win, several of them, not a single problem so far (1,5-2 years). 

Thank you - maybe it was just the LaCie on my laptop .... I guess I could ask Apple (recurrent beeping has been cited as an issue on some laptops, but no one mentions an external drive). Seagate could not offer an explanation .... 

I've been using Crucial X6 and X8 SSD's, a few 1TB, a 2TB and a 4TB. Small, durable and fast. I see there's an X9 now. Long ago I used Seagate 1 and 2TB mains powered drives without issues, but never newer Seagates, from memory 8TB were awful. A data recover company reckoned the media was poor. All drive manufacturers at times produce lemons, just keep multiplies copies/clones.