cathedral door ornamental characters ID...?

door knocker-handle;
what does it represent?
looks to me like lion head
+ serpents or seahorses
+ tiny man's head below...?
advice appreciated...
Ian von Emski, did you get this...?

Catedral de Mérida MX San Ildefonso:

MX231118156.jpg
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

It's all Mayan symbolism.  you have to remember all churches built by the colonialists were built on top of Mayan temples. The Merida cathedral had greater meaning for the people as it was built upon the ruins of "T'ho" or Ichkanzihóo city of five hills, the center of Mayan culture and activity in the Yucatan

3 hours ago, sooth said:

It's all Mayan symbolism.  you have to remember all churches built by the colonialists were built on top of Mayan temples. The Merida cathedral had greater meaning for the people as it was built upon the ruins of "T'ho" or Ichkanzihóo city of five hills, the center of Mayan culture and activity in the Yucatan

There may be some Mayan symbolism in there, but the two faces -- anthropomorphic (?) above and human below -- appear to have beards and mustaches. They look European to me. 

Edited by John Mitchell

6 hours ago, sooth said:

I'm pretty sure the ancient Mayans had facial hair too. 

Probably, but most indigenous people in the Americas don't have a lot of facial hair, at least not as much as Europeans. The upper crest likely is an example of "syncretism" as you suggest -- i.e. a Spanish (?) face superimposed on a jaguar. However, I think we'd need a local historian to figure it out. I have a pretty good architectural guide that I bought on my last trip to Merida. There's quite a lengthy section on the cathedral but no mention of the door knockers. They may not even be that old. Can't remember if I saw them when I first visited Merida in the 80's. The city has been spruced up a lot for tourists since then. 

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
thanks Soothie !!

so maybe a jaguar, not a lion?
& tiny man a generic conquistador
or Saint Ildefonsus, the cathedral's namesake...?

he looks like a monk or priest.