David Hurn in the Guardian

Mr Standfast

15 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Great man!

The iconic Sean Connery/James Bond image with James with an air gun. The Welsh miners. The Welsh mining disaster.

It’s a new world, it’s not the same world as yesterday. That means I’ve got lots to photograph. And whoopee, off I go.

The article seems to go with the bi-annual Magnum Square Print Sale:

This is one of over 100 images available in the Square Print Sale, at magnumphotos.com, 16-22 October, in which Magnum Photos partners with the World Press Photo Foundation.

At a recent photo fair in Amsterdam we got a preview and the chance to pre-order. The prints are not that cheap for a non-signed print, but not that expensive either.

Here's a youtube video where he talks about swapping and collecting prints prints. And about signing them.

wim

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I collect photography books and have The 1960’s Photographed By David Hurn which includes that Isle of Wight picture. Great book.

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Great man!

The iconic Sean Connery/James Bond image with James with an air gun. The Welsh miners. The Welsh mining disaster.

It’s a new world, it’s not the same world as yesterday. That means I’ve got lots to photograph. And whoopee, off I go.

The article seems to go with the bi-annual Magnum Square Print Sale:

This is one of over 100 images available in the Square Print Sale, at magnumphotos.com, 16-22 October, in which Magnum Photos partners with the World Press Photo Foundation.

At a recent photo fair in Amsterdam we got a preview and the chance to pre-order. The prints are not that cheap for a non-signed print, but not that expensive either.

Here's a youtube video where he talks about swapping and collecting prints prints. And about signing them.

wim

Includes the James Bond with air gun, Aberfan disaster (still moves me to tears seeing the desperation of those miners with spades searching for the children)

ISBN: 978-1-909526-13-6 if anyone is interested.

3 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I collect photography books and have The 1960’s Photographed By David Hurn which includes that Isle of Wight picture. Great book.

Includes the James Bond with air gun, Aberfan disaster (still moves me to tears seeing the desperation of those miners with spades searching for the children)

ISBN: 978-1-909526-13-6 if anyone is interested.

As many photographers I have a modest collection too. None by David Hurn so far.

Probably my favorite image by Hurn: the last pouring.

By coincidence I did pre-order the image by Sergio Larrain from Magnum he was speaking about in that Youtube video: the pigeons in/over Trafalgar Square. And one from the brilliant Bad Weather by Parr.

wim

An astonishing career, I can only think that he has turned down a knighthood because he certainly deserves one. His book 'On Being a Photographer' with Bill Jay is often cited as the 'go to' book for anyone serious about photography. He started the famous Newport School of Documentary Photography and I suspect there are many photographers on Alamy that went through those doors, I certainly know of one prolific and successful photographer who occasionally contributes to this forum.

This article is good, as is the whole website, and I've always loved that sheltering sheep picture:

https://photohistories.org/histories/david-hurn

For those who have access to BBC Iplayer he features in this short 1960 Ken Russell film 'A House in Bayswater':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00rzvq2

The 2017 documentary 'David Hurn: A Life in Pictures' is not currently available but I imagine it will come round again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0993mqr

Edited by Harry Harrison

27 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

An astonishing career, I can only think that he has turned down a knighthood because he certainly deserves one. His book 'On Being a Photographer' with Bill Jay is often cited as the 'go to' book for anyone serious about photography. He started the famous Newport School of Documentary Photography and I suspect there are many photographers on Alamy that went through those doors, I certainly know of one prolific and successful photographer who occasionally contributes to this forum.

This article is good, as is the whole website, and I've always loved that sheltering sheep picture:

https://photohistories.org/histories/david-hurn

For those who have access to BBC Iplayer he features in this short 1960 Ken Russell film 'A House in Bayswater':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00rzvq2

No iPlayer over here, but that site is great. Thank you!

wim

• Like 1