Editing actions in PS

Every year at this time I need to update my copyright notice to reflect the new year, 2014 in this case. Every year I have to re-learn how to put a border around a frame and insert text in the right format and place. What I would prefer to do is to find the text file of the action on my disc that says © 2013 and change it to © 2014.

It does not appear to be possible to edit text inside an action within the PS environment -  other than to delete that section and do it  again!

I may have asked this question last year and forgotten the answer  :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

Actions are not saved as text files so I don't think you can do what you are asking. It seems like a very roundabout way to tackle the problem anyway although it's not evident from the info you give how you are inserting the text in any case. 

One way is to create a text layer in another file which is added to each image and then flattened using an action. However, I recall that you use Lightroom so why not export using a preset with a watermark. This is what I do now - I used to embed a text layer with an action but the Lightroom option is much simpler.

Thanks for the speedy response MDM

Sadly I only use LR to prep the files for PS, and it is a reduced size file that I need to provide a border around along with a copyright notice. These images are of different sizes, so I'm not sure that a text layer would be suitable - but, hey, these are mysteries where I am concerned.

Edit - checking through the action it is a text layer that is being used, and it is the text within that layer that I want to change

A typical example of the required end product is here

I've sorted it. You can switch off existing steps within an action by un-checking the relevant tick boxes and then recording new steps to take their place, deleting the original steps when everything is OK. Not as simple as I had hoped but it works!

OK. Apart from the border you might want to take a look at Lightroom's abilities with inserting copyright notices and watermarks, especially if you decide to watermark your pictures at any point. Lightroom makes it easier than Photoshop for inserting a watermark in many cases.

EDIT

Just to add, the Lightroom stuff is done after you finish with the file in Photoshop, not in the initial processing of the raw. I just export copies of the final image (which for me is a PSD). So, for example, I'll export a full-res JPEG for Alamy and a watermarked low-res copy for my website. An advantage is Ligthroom does it in the background so I can continue to work on other images. Not trying to pester you by the way, just pointing out some alternative options.

Archived