is this a "Florida Cracker Horse"? if not then what...?

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
please please help ID this kind of horse;
(not fully processed)
taken in Geneva Florida, not Geneva Switzerland;
it may be "Florida Cracker Horse" but that's
me educated guess...

FL230521030.jpg

Hi, Jeff, check out “Appaloosa “ found this one on Alamy. Their spots can very varied, but this one is similar to yours.

portrait-of-appaloosa-horse-equus-caball

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 13/06/2023 at 21:21, Betty LaRue said:

check out “Appaloosa “

oh Betty
once again
you've come thru for me
may you see 1000 novel uses
in the next hour
this is my wish for you...
😇__ 😇__ 😇

& I will tag horse both ways
& let buyer decide which to use...
  • Like 1

Neither of those are Appaloosas. Simply red roan in colour. If an true Appaloosa, will have pink muzzle with with spots as well as spots around the eyes.  But since they started allowing Quarter Horses to mix with Appys, some of the true Appy traits are starting to disappear.  Now many Appys are simply spotted Quarter Horses.

The one with the head only has a possibility of being an Appaloosa if it has a blanket with spots over its' ass, but can't see that.  Jeff's horse definitely doesn't.

I used to have Appaloosas.

Jill

Edited to add:  In all my years with horses, never heard of a "Florida Cracker Horse".  No way to tell specific breed of that horse Jeff, sorry.  Could be a cross of different breeds.

Edited by Jill Morgan

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
oh Betty
once again
you've come thru for me
may you see 1000 novel uses
in the next hour
this is my wish for you...
😇__ 😇__ 😇

& I will tag horse both ways
& let buyer decide which to use...

Glad to be of help, Jeff.
My husband & I once owned 6 Quarter horses, one Welch pony. One was black, (Cricket) one a palomino (Sunny), one a dappled grey (Sin), one a pinto, Dolly, one a blood sorrel (my own saddle horse, Torch), one a line-backed dun (Chance)and my sweet Brandy, filly of Torch, a strawberry roan. I named all of our animals...cats, dogs, horses, birds.

Sin was an almost 3 year old stallion when I fell in love with him & traded hay off our field for him. The seller warned me he hated women, but like a sap, I thought my love & gentleness with him would change his mind. Didn’t happen. He tried to kill me. The first time he was aggressive, he kicked me & tore muscles in my thigh. I thought it was a fluke because he was excited about getting ready to be fed his oats. When he backed me in a corner another time, kicking at my head, I finally woke up. 
How did I come out of that alive? My husband grabbed the only thing at hand, a chain, and whacked Sin across his nose. We never struck our horses but that was an exception. He stopped attacking me. He immediately went to my husband and wanted to make up, but we knew at that moment we had to sell him. The most gorgeous horse we ever owned.

A rancher bought him, neutered him, & made a cow horse out of him. Last I heard, he was thriving.

The thing with horse colors, that doesn’t tell you what kind of horse it is. A thoroughbred, a Quarter horse, Arabian, etc. it seems Appaloosas came from a variety of Spanish horses. They are also called the Nez Pierce (tribe) horse. It is an actual breed and usually prized.

And as Jill said, they have probably been cross-bred, so who knows.

Edited by Betty LaRue

New breed as of 1989.  There are only 1,000 of them.

Red roan is not one of their listed colours and the body type doesn't match their breed standard.

According to Google, Florida has 387,300 horses. With only 1,000 Florida Cracker Horses, it means the odds of that horse being a Florida Cracker are .003%.  It is more likely a sport horse of some type. I wouldn't suggest labeling an animal as a specific breed if you don't know what it is. 

Jill

On 15/06/2023 at 16:00, Jill Morgan said:

Edited to add:  In all my years with horses, never heard of a "Florida Cracker Horse".  No way to tell specific breed of that horse Jeff, sorry.  Could be a cross of different breeds.

The Oklahoma State University domestic breeds website has it:  https://breeds.okstate.edu/horses/florida-cracker-horses.html 

Basically one of the landraces based mostly on Spanish horse importations in the 16th Centuries and later.  Ambling gait is mentioned in the listing.  We've got a lot of similar horses in Central America who amble (from the Spanish small riding horses called amblers).  Other Spanish derived horses are the various coastal ponies in the US and one rare breed in the West Indies.  Ambling genetics are are in the larger American gaited breeds where Thoroughbreds gave the horses  more height: Tennessee Walkers, American Saddlebred, etc.   The breed site is lovely hours of fun.