a99 and a77

Just wonder if others are using these and what they think of them.  Sony has a deal now for the a99 that includes the grip and flash and that looks like about $1000 of extras.  It seems that most of the emphasis is on the smaller NEX system but I still enjoy shooting with a larger camera.  I also have some older a mount Minolta lenses that work on these.

Marvin

I have an A900 and bought the A77 when it appeared, and in due course, the A99. I find the A99 not much use in the studio, but stuck with it for several travel sets. In the end I've sold the A99 and gone back to using the A77. The smaller, lower cost, high quality lenses and greater depth of field more than overcome the noticeable difference in noise levels. My main reason for sticking with the A99 was that it has proper audio control of video (gain and monitoring) where the A77 does not. I now have an RX10 for video which offers the full control of audio I need plus much betterr video encoding and even more useful depth of field, silent zooming, usable live AF during filming.

David

As a long time user of Minolta/sony I am now on the a77. The rumour is they will Bring out to new DSL ours in spring. There will probably be an announcement at CES in January. It may well be a good time to pick up the A 77 or 99 when the new models come out.

The 77 and 99 are both very good cameras, is comparable with their Nikon and Canon counterparts. Some people don't like the electronic viewfinders I have not found them problematic except in very high contrast situations.

Some of the Sony quirks are a little annoying like the non-standard customised Flash attachment on the 77.

On the upside there is some first class glass available particularly from the Carl Zeiss range.

Just wonder if others are using these and what they think of them.  Sony has a deal now for the a99 that includes the grip and flash and that looks like about $1000 of extras.  It seems that most of the emphasis is on the smaller NEX system but I still enjoy shooting with a larger camera.  I also have some older a mount Minolta lenses that work on these.

Marvin

The new A7® are not that small actually, they are in the size of the pre-AF srl, like the Minolta x700 or the Nikon FM2. With the LA-EA adapters, you can use your Minolta lenses and take advantage of the new processor.

A77 has a noise problem when shooting manual, jpeg engine sucks. but there is no nose problem when shooting in one of the automated modes.

The noise problem is only really the big let down for me. Sometimes very rarely in dull cloudy situations the colors don't always want to be vibrant as they should be Apart from that compared to my previous a350 and my friends cannons there's nothing this camera can't do, just make sure you buy another battery.

A99 has very very good nose control and some very good features, been thinking of getting an a99 since my a77 on its way out but speculation, is two new better alpha cameras coming by spring to replace a99 and a77. So if that's the case probably be best to buy one those. (Source i always use for sony alpha very accurate, sonyalpharummors.com)

If you cant wait go with the a99

The a99 is more like the a77 mark 2 with FF

If I used my camera like a normal person I'm pretty sure it would be 100% working, I've owned it for like two or three years now.

Let me just say how rugged the a77 is, I've had mine kicked, dropped, fallen, covered with sand, knocked off and almost ended being painted. I've only sent it once to be repaired but even then the internals worked absolutely fine.

Archived