model release forms

PatsyCollins

Question

I'd like to upload a few photos which include either myself or my husband. Not as us, and not really recognisable - just generic people eg 'a tourist' to give scale or add interest. Do I still need to complete actual model release forms? (If so, can you point me towards a template to use) Or is it enough just to know we agree to our images being used and aren't going to raise a complaint.

7 answers to this question

Hi Patsy,

You never have to have model release forms for people in images if you don't want to. But any non model released images can only then be used for editorial (non commercial, i.e. advertising) purposes. A client won't know who's in the image and if they're going to complain or not. They'll just go off the information in the Optional tab in AIM.

https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-model-release-form.pdf

Steve

p.s. I've just had a look at your portfolio and it'd pretty devoid of people! You should shoot images with people in, they often sell better, especially for tourist sites. Images with people doing activities sell well. You don't need a model release - just put the no. of people and 'no' to model release in AIM. If you're confused, there's lots of previous threads on the Forum to have a look at + the Alamy blog has covered this subject too.

p.p.s. it doesn't hurt to get images of outdoor scenes with no people in, but get some of the same scene with people in too if you can. They often make a good compositional device if you can get them somewhere in the middle thirds.

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1

Thank you - helpful as always!

I'll just say I don't have model releases then.

I used to try really hard not to get people in - unless it was us as holiday snaps. It wasn't until I started putting them on this site that I realised having people in can add to the pictures. I'll be doing more of that in future. It's all a learning process for me!

When I started, I thought I had to have releases for all people in an image. I deleted a lot of images because of it. It took me awhile before I understood what editorial meant. Then I mourned the ones deleted, which a few were excellent!
Like at the park, I shot a little boy & girl playing in a water/mud puddle. They were under 5 years old, dirty, big smiles & laughs. The pictures I took were wonderful. I captured their expressions perfectly.
Then I deleted them. 😡

I've uploaded model release in the past without a problem. But trying to ad a new one now, there only seems to be an option to Assign an Existing Release and no way of uploading a new one. The Help page shows the usual Upload icon in its explanation of MOdel releases - but, on my screen anyway, there is no Upload icon or option.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Hi Tim,

We have removed the upload function for releases as we don't need you to upload them anymore. 

All you need to do is annotate your images saying that there is one available and then we will get in touch with you if the customer needs it.

Thanks,

Chantelle