Moin from Hamburg Germany!

Jan Juerges

I joined ALAMY at the end of 21, but just started uploading in the last weeks. I am a graphic designer, photographer and film dude from Hamburg. I do photography now for about 20 years, mostly commissioned work, and i just wanted to see, if stock would be something for me... yes, i know, i should have started uploading 15 years ago....I do have a tiny portfolio on Adobe Stock also (50 images haha), but i have 1 image there that sold once a week for already 2 years now. Probably just luck, but i thought if i would have 100 of those, things could get interesting :) 

it got accepted here as well: https://www.alamy.com/seagulls-flying-in-front-of-the-elbphilharmonie-in-hamburg-harbour-image524448567.html?imageid=9E6B3CE7-A520-4D09-A1B7-42521B78542B&p=1825290&pn=1&searchId=0149d6a657ae490de7f72451d3f7b1e3&searchtype=12

As i learned from reading in this forum here for the last two weeks and also having a look at the "what sold" thread, editorial images seem to go quite well?

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to some nice discussions!

Enjoy the week!

Jan

• Thanks 1

Gruess di Gott Jan!

Yes, Alamy is primarily an editorial agency.

Stock isn't going to compare to commissioned work in terms of money. It can be a regular income stream, but you'd need to put a lot of work in and have thousands of images. Have a look through this thread:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/16286-2022/page/2/

Just for information, Alamy is not a fan of mentioning other stock agencies.

Indeed, if we'd all started uploading at the birth of stock, we'd be considerably richer!

Viel Spass,

Stephen

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Very nice images Jan, now just need to upload thousands more and you could see regular sales but even then, it may be only enough to buy a small piece of camera gear you've always wanted.  Good luck to you!

Thank you Michael! Yes, i will save for a new canon lens cap, but probably it will only be a chinese 3rd party model... ;)

• Love 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Gruess di Gott Jan!

Yes, Alamy is primarily an editorial agency.

Stock isn't going to compare to commissioned work in terms of money. It can be a regular income stream, but you'd need to put a lot of work in and have thousands of images. Have a look through this thread:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/16286-2022/page/2/

Just for information, Alamy is not a fan of mentioning other stock agencies.

Indeed, if we'd all started uploading at the birth of stock, we'd be considerably richer!

Viel Spass,

Stephen

Hi Steve :)

ok, good to know about the editorial emphasis... i will try and roam my hometown (Hamburg) and squeeze it for some touristy editorial images. Well, i should invest some minutes before that and see how the already coverage of Hamburg is...

Thanks for the information, hope i did not enroll myself to a secret blacklist already... :D

Danke!

Jan

52 minutes ago, Jan Juerges said:

Hi Steve :)

ok, good to know about the editorial emphasis... i will try and roam my hometown (Hamburg) and squeeze it for some touristy editorial images. Well, i should invest some minutes before that and see how the already coverage of Hamburg is...

Thanks for the information, hope i did not enroll myself to a secret blacklist already... :D

Danke!

Jan

Jan,

Great to check what's already up, you'd be surprised how many contributors don't do that. You can still sell fairly bog standard images of landmarks - some clients search for recent imagery. The advantage with living there though is that you can capture from various angles that other may not have considered and in different seasons and lighting.

Sperrliste - hopefully not! 😉

Steve

• 1 month later...

Moin Jan,

you have a small, but very interesting portfolio. Did you have further sales in the last months? I also recognized that Alamy primarily seems to be an agency for editorial images, so I will now focus on editorials, too.

Greetings from Bremerhaven 😀

1 hour ago, Aul Zitzke said:

Moin Jan,

you have a small, but very interesting portfolio. Did you have further sales in the last months? I also recognized that Alamy primarily seems to be an agency for editorial images, so I will now focus on editorials, too.

Greetings from Bremerhaven 😀

Moin Aul,

thank you very much! So far, i did not have a sale at all, but from my understanding it can take a while, so i have not given up hope yet. I think my images are good, its just the question if they are useful for someone else... I have sold some of the recently made images through other channels, which gave me a little appreciation and confidence that i am doing something right.

What about your sales?

best from Hamburg!

1 hour ago, Jan Juerges said:

Moin Aul,

thank you very much! So far, i did not have a sale at all, but from my understanding it can take a while, so i have not given up hope yet. I think my images are good, its just the question if they are useful for someone else... I have sold some of the recently made images through other channels, which gave me a little appreciation and confidence that i am doing something right.

What about your sales?

best from Hamburg!

Yes, you are right, you have to be patient on Alamy. With a small portfolio you will have only few sales, same here. At the moment I am very busy with extending my portfolio, have to upload 1500 images, but it costs so much time to put in the keywords and descriptions. In 2022 I did nothing at all on Alamy, I focused on Adobe Stock. On Adobe all is fine, but Alamy was not bad either, it´s just another target group. Thinking that your works are not ok, is the biggest mistake, when the earnings are low. Just keep in mind that there are 350.000.000 images on Alamy and it is very hard nowadays. It gets better, the more images you have in your portfolio, on Alamy as well as in the other agencies.

Best regards 😊