Is Pinterest commercial?

I had an image sale this morning and as ever did a quick search to see if I can view it's use.

It was a low sale - just $11.70 before deductions of $7.72, net being $4 give or take - and in UK terms about £3.70 depending what mess the Government  is making at the time of payout.

Sale was for personal use.

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 16 December 2022
Duration: In perpetuity"

My quick search found it on Pinterest, a place where the poster has 2,500 followers and labelled under "Design Inspiration." I cannot see anyone paying for one of my images just to put it on Pinterest - anyone else seen similar? It just feels like a commercial use somewhere along the line.

Edited by Stephen Lloyd

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Is the image watermarked? If so it's just an infringement ripped off the Alamy site. If not and the image hasn't licensed before, PU doesn't cover it and you could contact Alamy to see if there's a matching licence.

It is a verified sale - but as per personal use.

Credit card, Cards, Reusable tote (pinterest.co.uk)

This is where my image appeared. It's possible they are just linking to the Alamy site and I managed the sale because of it - but they've certainly keyworded it differently to me.  I've sent it to Alamy - they can check if the purchaser if the same or someone else.

It does make me wonder how many other "personal use" sales end up not personal.

• Thanks 1

It's watermarked, so it's just an infringement, unconnected to the PU, albeit commercial as it looks like it's being used to promote a business. You could try Pixsy but I don't know if they pursue those. Alamy certainly don't.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's watermarked, so it's just an infringement, unconnected to the PU, albeit commercial as it looks like it's being used to promote a business. You could try Pixsy but I don't know if they pursue those. Alamy certainly don't.

I'm not sure how you think this is an infringement.  Alamy has links at the bottom of every image for people to click on and share the image on facebook, twitter and pinterest.  That is all this person has done.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I'm not sure how you think this is an infringement.  Alamy has links at the bottom of every image for people to click on and share the image on facebook, twitter and pinterest.  That is all this person has done.

I don't use social media, so I can't see how that works, but putting an image you haven't licensed at the top of a page to promote a business looks like an infringement in the UK to me. I've tried FB where I have an account and it puts up a box containing the image with related text, credit and Alamy link. This is not that, it's a straight lift of the image on its own. OP hasn't given permission for the use.

, I don't know about your copyright act, but in the UK and EU, if you cause the image to appear on a screen, and you don't have a licence, infringement is pretty much made out. OP is in the UK. I have certainly collected on Uk infringements like this.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't use social media, so I can't see how that works, but putting an image you haven't licensed at the top of a page to promote a business looks like an infringement in the UK to me. OP hasn't given permission for the use.

OP is in the UK, I don't know about your copyright act.

I'm confused.  The link is just to the enlarged image  There is no such site as 17.alamy.com.  The links are usually to the originator of the pin, their pinterest page.  Is there someting I am not seeing being here in Canada.  I don't see any business relating to the image.

Jill

19 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't use social media, so I can't see how that works, but putting an image you haven't licensed at the top of a page to promote a business looks like an infringement in the UK to me. OP hasn't given permission for the use.

OP is in the UK, I don't know about your copyright act.

So you are referring to the company in the image?  I'm afraid nothing can stop them from sharing your image.  I mean, does it matter to the photographer who is sharing the image?  They aren't doing anything illegal, the image is out there, available to be shared, so they shared it.  It doesn't say if you company is in the image, you can't share it.

Jill

On 18/12/2022 at 14:13, spacecadet said:

I don't use social media, so I can't see how that works, but putting an image you haven't licensed at the top of a page to promote a business looks like an infringement in the UK to me. I've tried FB where I have an account and it puts up a box containing the image with related text, credit and Alamy link. This is not that, it's a straight lift of the image on its own. OP hasn't given permission for the use.

, I don't know about your copyright act, but in the UK and EU, if you cause the image to appear on a screen, and you don't have a licence, infringement is pretty much made out. OP is in the UK. I have certainly collected on Uk infringements like this.

The Pinterest concept is that any member can share a group of images on any theme. The theme there is 'graphic design inspiration'. I don't think that page is advertising a business. As Jill said, Alamy puts a link at the bottom of our images to share them on sites like Pinterest and Facebook. So Alamy is doing that to advertise itself and our images. Maybe we should use this concept to advertise our images as I have certainly never done it.