Concatenated Keywords?

Martin L

Question

Just found a bit of a strange one that I have not noticed before.

One of my images in AIM has the keywords:

'porcelain'

'mushroom'

'fungus'

However if you find the image on the main site it has the keywords as:

'porcelain fungus'

'mushroom'.

Two of the keywords have been concatenated.

Puzzled?

5 answers to this question

It does seem strange, has it happened with any others? Just looking at images of yours that come up searching for 'fungus' you have the trooping funnel fungus where 'trooping funnel' is a separate keyword/phrase, whereas one of the 'dead man's fingers' fungus only has separate keywords 'dead, fingers, mans'. On the face of it having 'porcelain fungus' as a separate keyword/phrase would seem to make sense but you certainly wouldn't expect that to happen without your intervention. I wonder if it's reflected in your data download, it must be I suppose. They're both in Vital as are a great many of your images, is 'porcelain fungus' also a Supertag if that's not giving too much away?

Might be worth asking contributors@alamy.com.

• Thanks 1

I had a few cases like this myself, for which I had no explanation. I hadn't done anything different to using my usual tags hierarchy and templates. I just re-input them separated. It's unlikely that Alamy would have a clue why it happened. It's probably impossible to replicate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

It does seem strange, has it happened with any others? Just looking at images of yours that come up searching for 'fungus' you have the trooping funnel fungus where 'trooping funnel' is a separate keyword/phrase, whereas one of the 'dead man's fingers' fungus only has separate keywords 'dead, fingers, mans'. On the face of it having 'porcelain fungus' as a separate keyword/phrase would seem to make sense but you certainly wouldn't expect that to happen without your intervention. I wonder if it's reflected in your data download, it must be I suppose. They're both in Vital as are a great many of your images, is 'porcelain fungus' also a Supertag if that's not giving too much away?

Might be worth asking contributors@alamy.com.

Thanks Harry.

All the keywords are separate supertags, 'porcelain fungus' concatenated is not.

The trooping funnel fungus is a later addition where I started adding concatenated keywords but not for some of the early ones.

Strange. I haven't checked any others yet.

Still not sure if this has an adverse effect as according to Alamy guidelines these concatenated keywords are split anyway.

However with my software head on you would have to think an exactly matched concatenated keyword with a customer search term would have more weight.

Who knows.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I had a few cases like this myself, for which I had no explanation. I hadn't done anything different to using my usual tags hierarchy and templates. I just re-input them separated. It's unlikely that Alamy would have a clue why it happened. It's probably impossible to replicate.

It's nice to know that I am not alone, thanks Gen.

I didn't do anything different either.

Maybe it's just a display error / bug on the main site but behind the scenes the list of separate keywords are used correctly within the search algorithm.

As I said to Harry, who knows.

Hopefully Alamy will get a whiff of this and escalate it if it causes an issue in searches🤞

6 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Thanks Harry.

All the keywords are separate supertags, 'porcelain fungus' concatenated is not.

The trooping funnel fungus is a later addition where I started adding concatenated keywords but not for some of the early ones.

Strange. I haven't checked any others yet.

Still not sure if this has an adverse effect as according to Alamy guidelines these concatenated keywords are split anyway.

However with my software head on you would have to think an exactly matched concatenated keyword with a customer search term would have more weight.

Who knows.

It's nice to know that I am not alone, thanks Gen.

I didn't do anything different either.

Maybe it's just a display error / bug on the main site but behind the scenes the list of separate keywords are used correctly within the search algorithm.

As I said to Harry, who knows.

Hopefully Alamy will get a whiff of this and escalate it if it causes an issue in searches🤞

After the blood bath of concatenated tags when the new AIM came to life, I  really couldn't be bothered to investigate and contact Alamy for these new rare few occurrences. C**k up fatigue here.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gvallee said:

After the blood bath of concatenated tags when the new AIM came to life, I  really couldn't be bothered to investigate and contact Alamy for these new rare few occurrences. C**k up fatigue here.

Same here, it happened with the new AIM and I spot one occasionally when I pull up a zoomed image. I don't bother to correct it- the tags are still there, after all, just diluted a bit by being made into a phrase tag. I'm certainly not going through thousands of images.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1