How do I opt out China sale ?

Action Photographer

Question

8 answers to this question

19 hours ago, Action Photographer said:

Images are being sold for few pennies with perpetuity license term, mostly in China. I would like to opt out such sale. I don't see any such option in term page 'https://www.alamy.com/terms/Contributor.aspx'. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. 

For me it's been a week with the Contributor Service:

We're aware that the sales you have seen through distribution have been quite lower than normal – this is because of a deal we have made with the distributor in China to secure business away from competitors in that specific market area. This was for images in accounts that were signed up for both Distribution in China and Novel use.

We realise that once the commission has been taken into account, it has meant that the amount owed to you is very small. Therefore, we’re giving you the option to opt out of distribution in China and/or novel use early to avoid any future low sales. If you wish to opt-out of distribution in China, and novel use now (before April) please let us know.

I kindly asked them to opt me out, still not done.

Edited by Pav
  • Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 02:02, Action Photographer said:

Images are being sold for few pennies with perpetuity license term, mostly in China. I would like to opt out such sale. I don't see any such option in term page 'https://www.alamy.com/terms/Contributor.aspx'. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. 

Great success! I know quicker Customer Services, but the result is what counts here.

Hi Pav, 

You have now been opted out of sales to China via our distribution scheme and the novel use scheme.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Pav said:

Great success! I know quicker Customer Services, but the result is what counts here.

Hi Pav, 

You have now been opted out of sales to China via our distribution scheme and the novel use scheme.

Note that this means little for now, Alamy allows Chinese distributor excessive leeway in reporting, I got approved sales reported 9 months after opt-out, and in addition, the opt out is only for Distribution sales.  As Alamy itself is normalising low fees, there is no guarantee they will not sell themselves at such a penny rates, and that there is no opt-out

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

Note that this means little for now, Alamy allows Chinese distributor excessive leeway in reporting, I got approved sales reported 9 months after opt-out, and in addition, the opt out is only for Distribution sales.  As Alamy itself is normalising low fees, there is no guarantee they will not sell themselves at such a penny rates, and that there is no opt-out

Agree, but this is the main reason I'm here and not on Shutterstock with most of my images... As I keep almost all the images exclusive here - I expect to have the last word about 'what to do' and what 'not to do' with my properties.

Edited by Pav

15 minutes ago, Pav said:

I expect to have the last word about 'what to do' and what 'not to do' with my properties.

Well you haven't- you ceded a good deal of that when you signed the contributor contract.

The only way to have the 'last word' is not to use a picture library.

• Love 1
  • Like 1