Benefits of Macbook Pro Retina

Hi,  I now do the majority of my digital imaging stuff on my laptop. The only thing I do on the desktop are orders and competition images and Alamy submissions.  At present I have a Samsung series 7 Chronos laptop.  Today I looked at a 15.4" macbook pro retina, whilst I admit the screen clarity was better than the samsung, I didn't think it justified the £800-£1000 price difference. And the Samsung has a 750gb hdd compared to the Apple 250gb.

Am I missing something else here I mean the screen is good but not £800-£1000 good?

Anyone else out there use a windows laptop and Photoshop, fully aware most photographers use apple products!

I wouldn't trust a laptop screen for accurate image processing, ok for applying saved presets, keywording and editing/image selection etc. I use my Macbook Air a lot for that. But, for fine tuning/finishing of images I use my iMac. It's far easier to obtain a fixed screen luminance and colour.

For instance, colours and light change to much when you move the angle of a laptop screen.

Hi Duncan,

Valid point about the laptop screen angle, I am working pretty much in the same way as you editing the final/finished version of the image on the desktop. So I will stick with my present Samsung Chronos series 7 for tasks that don't require the colour accuracy of a desktop.  I will still install a copy of PS and Lightroom on my laptop for those periods I am away from the desktop for some weeks at a time and carry out final edits etc when I return.  This is why I was considering an 15.4" retina but £ for £ and intended use I conclude I am better off with what I currently have. Many thanks for the replies.

Hi Duncan,

Valid point about the laptop screen angle, I am working pretty much in the same way as you editing the final/finished version of the image on the desktop. So I will stick with my present Samsung Chronos series 7 for tasks that don't require the colour accuracy of a desktop.  I will still install a copy of PS and Lightroom on my laptop for those periods I am away from the desktop for some weeks at a time and carry out final edits etc when I return.  This is why I was considering an 15.4" retina but £ for £ and intended use I conclude I am better off with what I currently have. Many thanks for the replies.

Definitely have LR and PS on the laptop. Create your presets on your main computer, lens corrections, initial colour adjust and auto white balance etc and copy them to the laptop. You can then apply these on the go on mass, which leaves only a few tweaks on the main computer when you're back.

Hi Dov, I always investigate the best equipments then decided on value for money to tie in with my needs.  I looked a a Macbook pro-retina and to be honest bottom line is that it is not in my opinion value for money when compared against my current Samsung Chronus laptop for my needs.  So I am sticking with what I have rather than upgrading, just can't justify it!

Cheers Bob

Archived