Hello from Washington State, Again

KellyC

Hello again from Belfair, Washington, on the lovely Hood Canal.  I was a previous contributor who left with the mass exodus last year when the new contract and commission tiers (which I still hate) came out. I'm slinking back now because, unfortunately I found that I miss the whole process. I'm probably one of the few photographers out there who actually enjoys (mostly) keyboarding (I know, I'm weird!). I also miss the sense of community here on the forum. I have a small portfolio on Arcangel, but there is no forum nor much help. I sent an email with a question about model releases and never received a response. Anyway, I haven't found any replacement for Alamy that isn't just as awful with commissions, so here I am, ready to be the little fish in the big pond all over again :-). Off to a rough start with uploads. I usually make them very small in case of rejections (only 1 for noise in my original 650 images), but since I've only been uploading what was my former Alamy portfolio, I thought no problem, they've all been accepted before, and I spent hours on my old, painfully slow computer uploading 150 images in a single submission. Big Mistake! One was rejected for noise. It was a artsy image with a textured background that I probably should have left out anyway. Oh well, live and learn, right??

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Welcome back. I agree about the new commission tiers, etc. However, as you say, there aren't many viable options left out there, which is sad indeed. Best of luck on your return journey. You have some very nice images. I used to visit Washington fairly often, but haven't been down there since COVID struck.

• Love 1

On 04/05/2022 at 15:51, KellyC said:

Hello again from Belfair, Washington, on the lovely Hood Canal.  I was a previous contributor who left with the mass exodus last year when the new contract and commission tiers (which I still hate) came out. I'm slinking back now because, unfortunately I found that I miss the whole process. I'm probably one of the few photographers out there who actually enjoys (mostly) keyboarding (I know, I'm weird!). I also miss the sense of community here on the forum. I have a small portfolio on Arcangel, but there is no forum nor much help. I sent an email with a question about model releases and never received a response. Anyway, I haven't found any replacement for Alamy that isn't just as awful with commissions, so here I am, ready to be the little fish in the big pond all over again :-). Off to a rough start with uploads. I usually make them very small in case of rejections (only 1 for noise in my original 650 images), but since I've only been uploading what was my former Alamy portfolio, I thought no problem, they've all been accepted before, and I spent hours on my old, painfully slow computer uploading 150 images in a single submission. Big Mistake! One was rejected for noise. It was a artsy image with a textured background that I probably should have left out anyway. Oh well, live and learn, right??

Welcome back Kelly,

I did the same thing as you and found that Alamy is the best option, currently available to me, for licensing file images.  I do miss the Northwest and Hood Canal.  Remember Mount St. Helens?  

Best,

Chuck

• Love 1

On 07/10/2022 at 15:25, Chuck Nacke said:

Welcome back Kelly,

I did the same thing as you and found that Alamy is the best option, currently available to me, for licensing file images.  I do miss the Northwest and Hood Canal.  Remember Mount St. Helens?  

Best,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Good to hear from you again 🙂 We managed to miss the Mount St. Helens eruption--moved up a few years later. But we did hear many stories about it from my husband's uncle. If you ever find yourself out this way again, look us up! You too John Mitchell--we are pretty close to you.

Thank you all for the welcome back.