Distributors and Affiliates

Can anyone explain the difference between Alamy distributors and Alamy Affiliates. I have asked Alamy and all they did was send me a copy of the Contributor Commission Table. In what instance would you come across an affiliate and how would an image be obtained from said affiliate?

As an example one contributor mentioned last summer that Alamy was encouraging them to put the link on their own website to send potential buyers, and they would be compensated if the bought anything within X days.  

Note those posts were quickly removed. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

I see, so the charges being made on OUR sales accounts are the commissions paid to someone/anyone who just has a link to Alamy on their website/blog/dog's collar? The buyer would click through, have a trawl round, decide on one of our images to licence and the Affiliate would get a portion of the 66% commission Alamy charges its contributors for the sale.

Also Alamy states the Affiliate Scheme as Global, so we could be unknowingly selling images to buyers in countries we'd rather not sell to?

Interesting that Alamy uses TopCashBack as an affiliate (as per the example given on Alamy's website), wouldn't have thought they would have an interest in the stock photography industry.  Maybe we should all apply to be affiliates 😃😃😃

Edited by Celluloid Hero
typo

2 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I see, so the charges being made on OUR sales accounts are the commissions paid to someone/anyone who just has a link to Alamy on their website/blog/dog's collar? The buyer would click through, have a trawl round, decide on one of our images to licence and the Affiliate would get a portion of the 66% commission Alamy charges its contributors for the sale.

this is the one thing that i have issue with pushing Affiliates.  Most times when i have used an affiliate link it was for something i was going to buy, from a provider i was going to buy from and i use the Link to thank a Blogger or a Youtuber for their work, little to do with what i purchased.  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the sales are not bad, but we still have no clear explanation that the 15% we pay is link the the sale, and why the massive increase in such cases in last 10 months. 

Because it's a really popular thing on the web?

The remedy? Consider becoming an affiliate yourself. 

wim