Jump to content
  • 0

Usage question (questionable)


Panthera tigris
 Share

Question

I just found a usage of one of my images on a website and no corresponding license exists (its not a media company or large company).

BUT under the photograph (not on the photograph) is a credit line saying "(my pseudonym)/Alamy".

 

I recall something in the past whereby usage of small images that were watermarked were allowed to be used by bloggers (or am I getting mixed up with Big G) free of use. This is not a blogger btw.

 

Any advice on this? Anyone remember?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

I just found a usage of one of my images on a website and no corresponding license exists (its not a media company or large company).

BUT under the photograph (not on the photograph) is a credit line saying "(my pseudonym)/Alamy".

 

I recall something in the past whereby usage of small images that were watermarked were allowed to be used by bloggers (or am I getting mixed up with Big G) free of use. This is not a blogger btw.

 

Any advice on this? Anyone remember?

Email to contributor services and they can check if there's been a relevant download, then wait for it to appear in sales...

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Is the image hot-linked to Alamy? If so, there is no infringement.

 

If it is a blog or similar social use then I doubt that Alamy or anybody else will be prepared to chase it. If you subscribe to Pixsy you could send a Take-Down notice. 

 

If it is UK based you could consider taking action yourself but given licence fees these days it probably would not be worth it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
19 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Is the image hot-linked to Alamy? If so, there is no infringement.

 

If it is a blog or similar social use then I doubt that Alamy or anybody else will be prepared to chase it. If you subscribe to Pixsy you could send a Take-Down notice. 

 

If it is UK based you could consider taking action yourself but given licence fees these days it probably would not be worth it. 

 

No it is not hot linked Ian.

 

I just upgraded to the paid version of Pixsy and am shocked at the amount of "hits" I am getting that I did not get on the free version. Its a bit overwhelming trying to match them up with licenses. I may just pull out of stock all together and just have Pixsy as my photography income stream. The first case successful case I had has paid for 6 months subscription.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

 

No it is not hot linked Ian.

 

I just upgraded to the paid version of Pixsy and am shocked at the amount of "hits" I am getting that I did not get on the free version. Its a bit overwhelming trying to match them up with licenses. I may just pull out of stock all together and just have Pixsy as my photography income stream. The first case successful case I had has paid for 6 months subscription.

 

 

Likewise. I have made more money from Pixsy than from Alamy in 2021.

 

BUT - it is not perfect. Seemingly strong cases get dropped for no obvious reason. If I can find the contact details why can't Pixsy? There is a high degree of automation in the system so you have to take the rough with the smooth.

 

AND - something of a dampener when you get charged $200 by Pixsy when it turns out that the user did have a licence - just that the agencies hadn't reported it even when specifically asked as a direct question. Unfortunately, licensing through agencies is far from foolproof.

 

The other thing is that lots of promising 'hits' turn up when you first start - because after all it is tracking all previous potential uses and infringements. But after a while those dry up and you are just getting the most recent ones so I can't see it as a sustainable, long-term income stream. 

 

At least with Pixsy you can dip in and out. Pay for subs for a month of whatever and then drop back to free and work through the backlog of 'hits'.

 

Another positive not to overlook is that Pixsy ( and others) produce data for the DACS claim. 

 

I have particularly enjoyed getting infringement payments from an MP, from a Police and Crime Commissioner, and from several local councils. 

 

 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.