Hello. New here. 2 simple questions

Nealj121

Hello 

I just started uploading my photos here. I am basically doing a mass upload since I have stuff elsewhere. 

Two quick questions 

With keywords do we need to have "landscape" and "landscapes" or do we just need the singular version? I've wondered this since I'm sure it's based on what person searches. Like "scenic". And "scenics" 

Does Alamy show how how have views a photo has? 

17 hours ago, Nealj121 said:

With keywords do we need to have "landscape" and "landscapes" or do we just need the singular version? I've wondered this since I'm sure it's based on what person searches. Like "scenic". And "scenics" 

Does Alamy show how how have views a photo has? 

Welcome James.

Question 1: Alamy does not implement stemming. This means that you need to include all variants of a word in your keywords, e.g. boat, boats, boating.

Question 2: Yes... up to a point. You get information about views and zooms (click-throughs) but only from a subset of Alamy customers - I can't recall exactly how these are chosen but generally speaking it will be regular customers. To see the stats go to Contributor Dashboard -> Alamy Measures -> Your Images.

Alan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Welcome James.

Question 1: Alamy does not implement stemming. This means that you need to include all variants of a word in your keywords, e.g. boat, boats, boating.

Question 2: Yes... up to a point. You get information about views and zooms (click-throughs) but only from a subset of Alamy customers - I can't recall exactly how these are chosen but generally speaking it will be regular customers. To see the stats go to Contributor Dashboard -> Alamy Measures -> Your Images.

Alan

-regular customers

My guess is: everyone with an account who has bought here before.

wim

• Like 1

It is one of those serendipitous occasions that a recent Alamy Content Team tweet is relevant to a new contributor query

Don’t give us the same content as everyone else, upload the unexpected. #Alamy customers love #unique imagery. ⁠

I would recommend not treating Alamy as just another microstock site. Prices here tend to be better than microstock and uploading the same content here just tends to drag Alamy prices down. Place your best, unique content here.

Supertags are given additional weight in determining search results for any given customer search. Only use supertags on keywords which are directly relevant to the subject of your image. In general, avoid putting in keywords which are peripheral to the subject of your image, in the long term it will produce false positives in searches and reruce your CTR and Alamy rank, meaning you will fall back in searches. There is a lot of discussion on CTR and keywording in the forum and you will be well rewarded for a few hours of browsing previous threads.

Be specific about places, products and activities in in captions. Alamy is primarily an editorial image site and buyers often need to know precisely what, where and when the image is portraying. Example, on image  2H9R08G: where is the quarry? which company? what kind of stone? Remove irrelvant or inaccurate keyword like - sand, agriculture, gem, tools, prospector, prospecting, mining, minework. 

Aim for quality in both your images and how they are captioned and keyworded and you are more likely to see rewards for time invested here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

It is one of those serendipitous occasions that a recent Alamy Content Team tweet is relevant to a new contributor query

Don’t give us the same content as everyone else, upload the unexpected. #Alamy customers love #unique imagery. ⁠

I would recommend not treating Alamy as just another microstock site. Prices here tend to be better than microstock and uploading the same content here just tends to drag Alamy prices down. Place your best, unique content here.

Supertags are given additional weight in determining search results for any given customer search. Only use supertags on keywords which are directly relevant to the subject of your image. In general, avoid putting in keywords which are peripheral to the subject of your image, in the long term it will produce false positives in searches and reruce your CTR and Alamy rank, meaning you will fall back in searches. There is a lot of discussion on CTR and keywording in the forum and you will be well rewarded for a few hours of browsing previous threads.

Be specific about places, products and activities in in captions. Alamy is primarily an editorial image site and buyers often need to know precisely what, where and when the image is portraying. Example, on image  2H9R08G: where is the quarry? which company? what kind of stone? Remove irrelvant or inaccurate keyword like - sand, agriculture, gem, tools, prospector, prospecting, mining, minework. 

Aim for quality in both your images and how they are captioned and keyworded and you are more likely to see rewards for time invested here.

Now this what I needed. Thanks. 

How exactly does one find the views per image? Is it the downloaded data? 

And yes the "big batch" im going thru has been sitting on here awhile (maybe a month) while I played catch up on things and I'm finally getting thru it. It has a mix of content and I'm pulling out some of the ones I don't like. I'm putting more focus on it now which is why I'm in here trying to learn. 

Thanks

There is no way of  seeeing how many views each of your images has had in a global sense of since it was uploaded.  You can use Alamy Measures (on your dashboard) to see which images of yours have been returned in searches over a period you can define (up to o one year maximum). This will also tell you which have been Zoomed (the customer has looked closely at your image). Zooms improve your CTR.

Edited by Joseph Clemson
More info

One other point: ignore the 'discoverability' statistic. Joseph has referred above to CTR and false positives. Discoverability has been discussed here ad nauseam and the unanimous opinion on this forum is that it's counter-productive. Adding lots of irrelevant keywords in order to get pictures into the green 'good discoverability' zone makes no difference whatsoever to searches other than to generate false positives and will only harm your CTR in the long term.

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin