How many keywords

Now I feel so Dum. :unsure: . Do we get more notice by the title of our images or  by keywords .

I have been trying to get my images up .. but even thought I put their  best keywords in they never appear at all ..  :(

Cheers  Barbara 

Keywords.

Captions have a low significance, so the key, er, words should be in the essential keywords as well.

So, walker art gallery liverpool in esskeys, for example.

You shouldn't be expecting much more than one view/image/month with decent keywording anyway.

Hello Barbara,

You'll probably get tons of advice on this topic, but I'l kick off with a few words.  The greatest emphasis in the search engine is given to the essential keywords. The main keyword box is also searched as a secondary source. The caption box is also featured in the search, though Alamy say this is not so significant - however I know some images of mine have been returned in searches on the strength of a word or two in the caption.

I have had a very quick look at a couple of your images I would say you need to be more specific in your  kewording. Your crowd is outside the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool - that should be strongly represented in your keywords. There are millions of pictures with crowds of people but fewer featuring that place - make more of it. Same goes for the boat on the beach - it is an RNLI boat and invokes concepts of rescue. Make them explicit in your keywords.

Finally, you will need a lot more images before you start seeing them turning up regularly in searches, let alone making any sales. Shoot more, upload more and spend lots of time and effort on keywording.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks guys.. I know I need 100s more images before I believe I would even get zooms let alone views.. I will have a good look at all my captions/keywords .. see what I can do to improve them.. Not knowing the pro n cons of how things work I was under the impression that everyone was getting plenty of views a week except me so thanks Mark for putting my mind at ease...Thanks Joe/Mark for pointing me in the right direction on how to word my images...

Cheers guys thanks for taking the time... 

Barbara 

. :lol:  What am I like...so he's Jango Fett..you can tell I am not a star wars fan... Thanks Paul  I will change it... Thanks for taking the time to view my PF and you nice comment..

I do need some new stuff I have loads of ideas for set up shots.. just waiting for my model "granddaughter" to have the time ...I  have a lovely holiday booked for Christmas.. that will be a good opportunity to get some new shots..

Cheers  Barbara 

Hi Barbara, one thing I learned from going through these forums on a regular basis. Keywords are 'key' :-). The better your keywording and the more specific you can be, the better your chances of being found. So:

1. If you have images of trees, flowers, bridges, buildings, almost any kind of object, get as many details as possible. Google where required. So, for example, if you have a flower, look at google images to hunt for the exact scientific name of the flower.

2. Go through these: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp & http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/annotation-options.asp

3. I also periodically look at searches to find my images, and if an image is not showing up where I expect it to be, I review keywords. Once, I had an image show up when i was searching for an object in Britain and in the Scottish Highlands, but not when using Scotland. Went back to my image, and, and ... Scotland was missing from the keywords. 

And there are people who are much better experts at doing keywords ... this can be a great and informative thread ..

Thanks Ash .. you know I haven't been getting the best out of  my keywords..   O yes there are words in spaces but that I thought they were relevant to the image but not with *  * or [  ] in there...  Now I will spend some time going through all my images..Phew...

But thanks Ash for pointing me in the right direction  I wouldn't have taken any notice of the Captions or Keywords page, now I will ...  :wacko: .. I am sure I will get it right in the end... 

Cheers  Barbara  

PS you are right about it being an informative thread...... for me anyway..  :)

Archived