Reportage

Alex Ramsay

Question

3 answers to this question

Just now, Alex Ramsay said:

Is there any advantage or otherwise to uploading images as 'reportage'? I'm thinking, for example, of pictures of people doing current seasonal work, a subject having a 'newsy' but not exactly newsworthy quality

Alex

Based on discussions with contributors support they feel it is a negative as they claim images may be filtered out by clients. So if image can potentially pass they recommend submitting as normal even if it means failing QC once in a while- they literally told me i had to fail QC a few times before they would grant me access (sigh!)

Note that i assume the filter would also exclude images initially submitted as Live News, which seem to have no problem licensing, so i am not sure if their claim as based on data, and if it means image submitted as LN should be resubmitted as stock, but that's another matter. 

48 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Based on discussions with contributors support they feel it is a negative as they claim images may be filtered out by clients

If correct I suspect it depends upon what image is being searched for. If an image where there is a huge number to choose from amongst stock that has been through QC, that could be logical. If otherwise, for instance an event only photographed as live news and reportage, then reportage and lapsed live news would likely be the only source. For what I shoot most I have no problems now licensing reportage, or lapsed live news from the past. 

49 minutes ago, sb photos said:

If correct I suspect it depends upon what image is being searched for. If an image where there is a huge number to choose from amongst stock that has been through QC, that could be logical. If otherwise, for instance an event only photographed as live news and reportage, then reportage and lapsed live news would likely be the only source. For what I shoot most I have no problems now licensing reportage, or lapsed live news from the past. 

I was not provided any evidence, and considering a significant portion of my sales are lapsed Live News images, many of which i have images from the same shoot that i uploaded later as stock and would then have been preferred if there was such a bias, so i am still confused with the argument, but this is Alamy's business.