Jump to content
  • 0

Catalina or Big Sur? MAC update question. Monterey?


Marianne
 Share

Question

I checked out some of the convos on Big Sur from several months ago & also the known issues stuff on Apple's website, and still have a question I'd love feedback on.

 

I'm actually still running Mojave on on my late 2018 Macbook Pro - fear of updating & vertigo slowing my life down .... it wasn't broke so kept with the status quo .. but now I need to update to at least Catalina for the newest versions of Photoshop & Lightroom to work. I'm not upgrading to Monterey anytime soon but wondering which of the two - Catalina or  Big Sur is the most trouble free?

 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

 

2nd Edit: Phil, thanks. Anyone else using Monterey?

Edited by Marianne
hit return while typing - & read Phil's early answer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
Just now, Marianne said:

I checked out some of the convos on Big Sur from several months ago & also the known issues stuff on Apple's website, and still have a question I'd love feedback on.

 

I'm actually still running Mojave on on my

I just updated from Mojave to Monterey on my iMAC due to wanting the new Lightroom Classic V11.

So far it's running great, LR has some really useful upgrades in Masking/Linear/Radial/Brush filters and it's all very intuitive...

 

What's your question?

Phil

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0


Wow Phil, I was still typing - I had to edit since I must've hit return before I finished.

 

I was worried about upgrading all the way to Monterey so soon .... though it looks great ...and yes all the new upgrades in Masking, etc. look amazing. 

 

Anyone else have thoughts on Monterey? I was going for the conservative approach.

 

I assume I can go straight from Mojave to Monterey? My Macbook wants me to. I have a bootable backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 minutes ago, Marianne said:


Wow Phil, I was still typing - I had to edit since I must've hit return before I finished.

 

I was worried about upgrading all the way to Monterey so soon .... though it looks great ...and yes all the new upgrades in Masking, etc. look amazing. 

 

Anyone else have thoughts on Monterey? I was going for the conservative approach.

 

I assume I can go straight from Mojave to Monterey? My Macbook wants me to. I have a bootable backup.

I did go straight from Mojave, took a couple of hours.

If you use Carbon copy Cloner you'll need to upgrade(paid) to CCC6, but you get 50% off if you've bought 5...!

Haven't found any other issues ....Yet!

 

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I'm on Catalina and still have LRC 9.4. Cannot move on from Catalina because iMac machine is now too old so may not be able to get LRC 11.

 

Allan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm on Catalina and still have LRC 9.4. Cannot move on from Catalina because iMac machine is now too old so may not be able to get LRC 11.

 

Allan

 

 

It'll work on Catalina....

I have it on my old MBP which won't go beyond Catalina....

 

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Just now, Phil Crean said:

It'll work on Catalina....

I have it on my old MBP which won't go beyond Catalina....

 

Phil

 

Thank you Phil. I just did an update for LRC this morning. Do you know when we will get LRC 11?

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

I've got it now!

Check for Updates through Creative Cloud...

 

Phil

 

3 minutes ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Its there now Allan have just updated to LRC11 on Catalina.

 

Nigel

 

 

Thank you both.

 

Allan

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 minutes ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Its there now Allan have just updated to LRC11 on Catalina.

 

Nigel

 

 

North Yorkshire! Lovely part of the country.  When I moved from Cambridge to Lincoln I think I should have gone the extra mile or 100.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

I did go straight from Mojave, took a couple of hours.

If you use Carbon copy Cloner you'll need to upgrade(paid) to CCC6, but you get 50% off if you've bought 5...!

Haven't found any other issues ....Yet!

 

Phil

 

Thanks Phil.

 

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm on Catalina and still have LRC 9.4. Cannot move on from Catalina because iMac machine is now too old so may not be able to get LRC 11.

 

Allan

 

 

 

Allan, I got a notice that I had to upgrade at least to Catalina to use the latest versions of PS and LR, which was why I was wondering if I should be conservative in my updates, but as Phil can attest it works with Monterey I may just take the plunge. Glad you can use it on your older iMac. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, Marianne said:

 

Thanks Phil.

 

 

Allan, I got a notice that I had to upgrade at least to Catalina to use the latest versions of PS and LR, which was why I was wondering if I should be conservative in my updates, but as Phil can attest it works with Monterey I may just take the plunge. Glad you can use it on your older iMac. 

 

Tried to download it but all it wanted to do was to download the cloud version.???

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 27/10/2021 at 09:08, Marianne said:


Wow Phil, I was still typing - I had to edit since I must've hit return before I finished.

 

I was worried about upgrading all the way to Monterey so soon .... though it looks great ...and yes all the new upgrades in Masking, etc. look amazing. 

 

Anyone else have thoughts on Monterey? I was going for the conservative approach.

 

I assume I can go straight from Mojave to Monterey? My Macbook wants me to. I have a bootable backup.

 Monterey before 12.1 had some wonkiness, but 12.1 appears to be fine on my late 2015 iMac.  I'm running the latest LR Classic. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.