QC Color Bar

drweetabix

Question

5 answers to this question

Short answer 40-50. But +1 to what Paulette says.

Long answer:

Your pictures will appear at a certain level (e.g. first page, 10th page... etc.) in searches by clients, depending on various factors. CTR and Sales are the only factors we know about for sure in the secret formula Alamy uses to set our search ranking. Your CTR rank (on your Dashboard) is a function of the number of times a client zooms (clicks on) one of your images versus the number of times your images appear in a client search, but are not zoomed.

CTR=Zooms/Views * 100

This is basically a long way of me saying, don't spam keywords. E.g. don't put sky, blue, clouds for every single outdoors picture you shoot. There is a tendency to try to put lots of keywords for your images to try to get them seen by clients. So they may well appear in searches, but if they're not zoomed by a client, your CTR rank will drop. Which means your images won't show as high up in client searches. You don't want your images to get buried in the 255 million images on Alamy. By all means, put a lot of keywords in for certain pictures if they're relevant. Captions and keywords are almost more important than the image itself because you can have the most amazing images ever, but if they're keyworded wrong, no one will ever see them.

Include variant spellings, in particular British and American spellings. Also include singular and plurals of words if appropriate. Don't worry about moving the line to optimised (green) - we have collectively decided that this is not a good idea unless you really need that many keywords.

Danny. p.s. you might want to look into the possibility of infringing 3rd party copyright by uploading artwork, music album covers, music book covers and the like, that don't show any context (i.e. showing the artwork at an angle with space around it). You do often see this sort of thing on stock sites; that's not to say that it's not a potential problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Danny. p.s. you might want to look into the possibility of infringing 3rd party copyright by uploading artwork, music album covers, music book covers and the like, that don't show any context (i.e. showing the artwork at an angle with space around it). You do often see this sort of thing on stock sites; that's not to say that it's not a potential problem.

or having images that are public domain, and not stating so- though i wonder if this is contractual breach, since this still appears under "Optional", maybe OP should e-mail Alamy about that. 

ADD:  I looked at contract, and indicating Public Domain does not seem to be contractual, other than it can never be marked as "Exclusive" , but again please check. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1