New nature photographer on the block

Anna C

Hi all. I just got approved as a new alamy member. I got back into photography over the past year (for obvious reasons) after years of not doing much, and I've been contributing on microstock sites for a few months now. I mainly take pictures of nature and wildlife: birds, insects, small mammals (because I haven't spotted any large ones), flowers, trees, landscapes, changing seasons. A bit of macro stuff too.

I have a question straight away... My trial submission was approved, and I dealt with all the keywording, captions, details etc, and it says next to those photos that they are now 'on sale'. However, my dashboard and my profile page still say I have no images online. Does this just take a while to go through, or do I need to do something extra?

Anna

• Love 1

• 2 months later...

Welcome Anna,

I have been submitting nature and wildlife images since 2016 and have almost 2000 pictures. There's plenty of nature photographers with Alamy so make sure your work stands out, edit ruthlessly, avoid submitting batches of similars, calibrate your monitor for colour and exposure accuracy, caption accurately using Latin names for species and take pictures of subjects you come to know well. The quality of your wildlife images count more than the quantity-that is what will ensure sales. 

Edited by Dominic Robinson

On 06/05/2021 at 06:15, Anna C said:

Hi all. I just got approved as a new alamy member. I got back into photography over the past year (for obvious reasons) after years of not doing much, and I've been contributing on microstock sites for a few months now. I mainly take pictures of nature and wildlife: birds, insects, small mammals (because I haven't spotted any large ones), flowers, trees, landscapes, changing seasons. A bit of macro stuff too.

I have a question straight away... My trial submission was approved, and I dealt with all the keywording, captions, details etc, and it says next to those photos that they are now 'on sale'. However, my dashboard and my profile page still say I have no images online. Does this just take a while to go through, or do I need to do something extra?

Anna

I would suggest you put in your caption and description where these images were taken. Often people who are looking for flora or fauna search by country and even closer. Since I’m in the U.S., minimum is the state and country, but sometimes the town. So I’ll have:

Wichita, Kansas, US, USA, United States, North America.

Sometimes when trying to identify a particular plant I’ve taken, I might search “White flower, Kansas, USA”. I don’t want to look at flowers from other countries but the ones that grow where I took mine.
So buyers may be doing an article on Kansas wildflowers, so they’ll do a search by using Kansas in the search.