Spring flowers and shrubs ID

John Mitchell

Question

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm hoping to get some help identifying the various flowers and shrubs in this "spring salad" image.

Thanks in advance.

closeup-of-colorful-spring-flowers-and-shrubs-2FK8WJ3.jpg

I'll give it a go:

Bottom left winter heather, Erica carnea.  Can't tell you the variety, there are a good few pink ones including the species.  This also occurs middle top,

Centre left is one of the red flowering evergreen azaleas, possible 'Hinode Giri'

Top centre is the silver hedgehog holly, Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox Argentea'

Top left I'm not sure of.

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

I'll give it a go:

Bottom left winter heather, Erica carnea.  Can't tell you the variety, there are a good few pink ones including the species.  This also occurs middle top,

Centre left is one of the red flowering evergreen azaleas, possible 'Hinode Giri'

Top centre is the silver hedgehog holly, Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox Argentea'

Top left I'm not sure of.

Thanks very much, John. I figured the red ones were some kind of azeleas. "Hedgehog holly" -- I like that. I should have known the heather. There is a lot of it around here. Love the colour. By the way, is there an esoteric gardening term for a mixed group of plants like this? Somehow I don't think that "spring salad" is commonly used. 🌿

32 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

TBy the way, is there an esoteric gardening term for a mixed group of plants like this? Somehow I don't think that "spring salad" is commonly used. 🌿

Yes, I don't think 'spring salad' is quite appropriate.  I wouldn't like to eat any of that lot - especially the hedgehog holly.  Brings new meaning to prickly.  I still carry the scars.

As far as a gardening term there is always the classic 'shrubbery' but I'd just call it an evergreen planting combination.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, I don't think 'spring salad' is quite appropriate.  I wouldn't like to eat any of that lot - especially the hedgehog holly.  Brings new meaning to prickly.  I still carry the scars.

As far as a gardening term there is always the classic 'shrubbery' but I'd just call it an evergreen planting combination.

So much for the blue cheese dressing then. Thanks again for your expertise.

I am the world's worst when it comes to plant and flower ID but I have started to use an App called Picture This that does a pretty good job and the subscription is only a few £ each year. Just snap it and hey presto...https://apps.apple.com/us/app/picturethis-plant-identifier/id1252497129 (however, it only works on iOS devices)

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

I am the world's worst when it comes to plant and flower ID but I have started to use an App called Picture This that does a pretty good job and the subscription is only a few £ each year. Just snap it and hey presto...https://apps.apple.com/us/app/picturethis-plant-identifier/id1252497129 (however, it only works on iOS devices)

Thanks. Looks good, but I have an android phone.

• Love 1