• 2 weeks later...

I see that the resales of the cleared-and-paid refunds that started this thread have cleared. The Cleared Dates were backdated to the date the refunds were posted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not understand,  When I do commercial work, not much in the last year, I do not release images for reproduction until the invoice or fees

are paid?  I can not understand why Alamy can not do the same thing?  I've had commercial clients on deadline who have fired people in their

accounting departments because they did not move fast enough. 

Also when people looking for a specific image have contacted me for an image, I tell them I charge a research fee to find and scan the

image they are requesting and they need to pay that fee before I start looking for the image,  They pay the research fee, from $100 to $500

depending on.  They also end up paying at least $300 for a license for the image?

I also do not do REFUNDS once the client has approved the comp.

Chuck

• Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

And today, a "Manual Credit" for each of the two cleared-and-paid-out-then-refunded-and-resold sales, amounting to my original commission. This has the effect of increasing my cleared balance by the amount of the manual credits (in Account Balance; doesn't show yet in the cleared balance on the Dashboard). The accounting has been interesting.

If you're just tuning in to this thread, please start at the beginning to see what kinds of refunds we're talking about.

Edited by Bill Kuta
10 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

And today, a "Manual Credit" for each of the two cleared-and-paid-out-then-refunded-and-resold sales, amounting to my original commission. This has the effect of increasing my cleared balance by the amount of the manual credits (in Account Balance; doesn't show yet in the cleared balance on the Dashboard). The accounting has been interesting.

If you're just tuning in to this thread, please start at the beginning to see what kinds of refunds we're talking about.

Got the same credits today too.

OK accounting fans here is the way I see it.

Sale made in 2020 for $40, I receive $20. That sale cancelled, I receive nothing. That sale billed again for $40 and therefore I receive $20. Today I receive an extra credit of $20 against the image. So It looks like I am receiving $40 for each sale. This would be 100% commission on the sale of $40 to the client

I had 4 sales, all following the same accounting path.

I had two $40 sales in 2020 (May and July, 50% commission). They cleared and I was paid commission.

On April 8, 2021, those two sales were refunded, and the commissions recovered by Alamy.  My cleared balance went negative, and resales for the same amount were posted on April 9.

It took two-three weeks or so for the resales to clear, and the clearings were backdated to April 9.

At this point, my net was restored to what it was before the refunds.

So I don't know what today's manual credits are for--it appears to be extra money, I won't be surprised if it's reversed soon.

What I don't like about these refunds of paid-out sales is the temporary affect on my cleared balance. If the refunds-and-resales are just to restate terms and no money is changing hands between Alamy and the buyer, then no money should be changing hands between me and Alamy--the resale should clear when the resale is posted. But this is my speculation.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Ditto a $16 manual credit applied for the same image that was refunded for the July 2020 sales

I do wish Alamy would give some explanation